|National Geographic Atlas
"8th Edition Atlas of the World"
National Geographic, the renowned authority in cartographic
information for more than 90 years, unveils its most comprehensive and
compelling portrait of the world yet. This completely revised,
state-of-the-art atlas uses the latest digital mapping techniques, most
advanced satellite imagery, and other cutting-edge technology to create a
thorough, panoramic picture of the planet Earth.
Owners of this new 8th Edition Atlas also receive exclusive access to
National Geographic's interactive atlas web site. Featuring impressive
technology that enables users to create customized views of many maps in the
atlas, the unique site also contains animations that zoom in on famous world
landmarks, and a printable map update capability to keep this atlas forever
- 60 up-to-date political maps, 17 new thematic maps, and 10 new panoramic
satellite views of the world and every continent.
- Three all-new, stunning double-page world mapsone created by satellite
imagery, one highlighting Earth's physical features, and a political map of
all 192 countries.
- First-time-ever use of the oblique view of satellite images, giving
readers a sense of the three-dimensional view from space.
- A unique online address for every political map, which allows readers to
update and even customize their maps.
- Detailed views of all five ocean floors and both polar regions that reveal
the latest scientific coverage of these relatively unexplored frontiers.
- Unique coverage of space, including the latest imagery from the Hubble
Space Telescope, and new information from Mars.
- New world-thematic section addressing today's pressing global concerns,
with topics such as Biodiversity, World Economy, and Conflict and Terror.
- New section on Cities of the World, emphasizing key ''megacities'' and
featuring 60 new maps, photographs, and fact boxes.
- A comprehensive, cross-referenced index of 140,000 place names.
- More than 15,000 changes made between the 7th and the 8th Editions.
- A detailed appendix of reference information such as foreign terms, metric
conversions, time zones, and temperature statistics.
- The unique Ehlermann binding, which enables the atlas to open completely
flat so that no information is lost in the center.
Full Color, 416 pages. 2005
Hardcover, approx 12 3/8'' x 18 1/2''.
Shipping weight: 8 lbs