Bird’s-eye View of Hallowell,
Kennebec County, Maine, 1878, Drawn by Albert Ruger and Published by J.
Part of an original land grant to the Plymouth Colony by the British in the 1620's, the city is named for one of the Kennebec Proprietors, landholder Benjamin Hallowell of Boston. In 1762, the Deacon Pease Clark arrived with his wife and son, settling on the banks of the Kennebec, becoming the first settlers of the town.
The city of Augusta separated from Hallowell in 1797. Throughout the 1800's, Hallowell prospered, with thriving lumber, sawmills and shipbuilding enterprises. Granite was quarried in the region and the Kennebec River was harvested for ice that was exported around the world.
An interesting glimpse into Hallowell city management is revealed in this brief excerpt from an article that appeared on April 5, 1878 in the “Daily Kennebec Journal”:
“At the last meeting of the City Council, the Finance committee reported a list of appropriations for the current municipal year as follows: For city debt, $2,000, Interest on city debt, $1,500, support of schools, $3,000; free high school, $500; support of poor, $1,500; repairing highways and sidewalks, $3,000; haling gravel, $300; new street, $200; salaries, $1,400; engine men, $800; fire department, $700; city watch, $1,100; discount on taxes, $2,700; miscellaneous, $1,800; making a total of $20,500. No other business of general importance was transacted, excepting the passage of an order concerning the erection of a new school building in this city at an early day. The street commissioner and other city officers entrusted with public funds, presented bonds as required by statute, which were accepted as satisfactory to the Council.”
An inset illustration of the Classical Institute is featured on the lower left corner of the map.
Features references to the following locations:
• City Hall.
• High School & Classical Institute.
• Public & Primary Schools.
• Maine Industrial School.
• R. R. Depot.
• Fire Engine House.
• Soldiers Monument.
• Gas Works.
• Steam Boat Landing.
• Hallowell House, H. Q. Blake, Proprietor.
• Wilson’s Hall.
• Hallowell Granite Co.’s Works.
• A. Sampson & Son’s Oil Cloth Manufactory.
• Amos, Wilder & Son’s Oil Cloth Manufactory.
• Hallowell Cotton Mills, J. M. Harvey, Agent.
• Hallowell Iron, Foundry & Machine Shops, Geo. Fuller, Proprietor.
• Fuller, Richardson & Co.’s Chalk & Whiting Mills.
• Eagle Iron Works, McClinch & Co., Proprietor.
• Kennebec Wire Works, Stickney, Page & Co.
• Grist, Whiting & Plaster Mills, Stickney, Page & Co.
• H. Parlin & Son’s Shoe Factory.
• W. H. Norcross Marble Works.
• Hallowell Granite Co.’s Wharf & Ice Houses.
• Knickerbocker Ice Houses.
• Free Will Baptist.