Historic Map - Hallowell, ME - 1878

Starting at $34.00

Adding to cart… The item has been added


Bird’s-eye View of Hallowell, Kennebec County, Maine, 1878, Drawn by Albert Ruger and Published by J. J. Stoner.

Part of an original land grant to the Plymouth Colony by the British in the 1620's, the city is named for one of the Kennebec Proprietors, landholder Benjamin Hallowell of Boston. In 1762, the Deacon Pease Clark arrived with his wife and son, settling on the banks of the Kennebec, becoming the first settlers of the town.

The city of Augusta separated from Hallowell in 1797. Throughout the 1800's, Hallowell prospered, with thriving lumber, sawmills and shipbuilding enterprises. Granite was quarried in the region and the Kennebec River was harvested for ice that was exported around the world.

An interesting glimpse into Hallowell city management is revealed in this brief excerpt from an article that appeared on April 5, 1878 in the “Daily Kennebec Journal”:

  “At the last meeting of the City Council, the Finance committee reported a list of appropriations for the current municipal year as follows: For city debt, $2,000, Interest on city debt, $1,500, support of schools, $3,000; free high school, $500; support of poor, $1,500; repairing highways and sidewalks, $3,000; haling gravel, $300; new street, $200; salaries, $1,400; engine men, $800; fire department, $700; city watch, $1,100; discount on taxes, $2,700; miscellaneous, $1,800; making a total of $20,500. No other business of general importance was transacted, excepting the passage of an order concerning the erection of a new school building in this city at an early day. The street commissioner and other city officers entrusted with public funds, presented bonds as required by statute, which were accepted as satisfactory to the Council.”

An inset illustration of the Classical Institute is featured on the lower left corner of the map.

Features references to the following locations:

• City Hall.
• High School & Classical Institute.
• Public & Primary Schools.
• Academy.
• Maine Industrial School.
• R. R. Depot.
• Fire Engine House.
• Cemetery.
• Soldiers Monument.
• Gas Works.
• Steam Boat Landing.
• Hallowell House, H. Q. Blake, Proprietor.
• Wilson’s Hall.
• Hallowell Granite Co.’s Works.
• A. Sampson & Son’s Oil Cloth Manufactory.
• Amos, Wilder & Son’s Oil Cloth Manufactory.
• Hallowell Cotton Mills, J. M. Harvey, Agent.
• Hallowell Iron, Foundry & Machine Shops, Geo. Fuller, Proprietor.
• Fuller, Richardson & Co.’s Chalk & Whiting Mills.
• Eagle Iron Works, McClinch & Co., Proprietor.
• Kennebec Wire Works, Stickney, Page & Co.
• Grist, Whiting & Plaster Mills, Stickney, Page & Co.
• H. Parlin & Son’s Shoe Factory.
• W. H. Norcross Marble Works.
• Hallowell Granite Co.’s Wharf & Ice Houses.
• Knickerbocker Ice Houses.

• Baptist.
• Free Will Baptist.
• Congregational.
• Episcopal.
• Methodist.
• Universalist.


Archive Paper

Archive Paper

Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.

  • Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
  • Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
  • Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
  • Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
  • Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.
USA map icon

Made In The USA

Our wall map products are designed and printed on demand by our small team in Seattle, WA using high quality materials and fine art giclee printing.
Purchase order icon

School Purchase Orders

We gladly accept purchase orders from schools and other government institutions. Learn more here
Icon of plane flying

Worldwide Shipping

International shipping options are available. Free shipping within the contiguous USA

Questions about Historic Map - Hallowell, ME - 1878?

World Maps Online is here to help you with all of your map needs. If you need help finding the right product, we're happy to answer questions you have. to send us a message on live chat.