null

Historic Railroad Map of Wisconsin - 1880

Code:
1W-WI-RR-1880-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
Map of the Wisconsin Central Line and connections.

Madison was selected as the capitol of the newly created Wisconsin Territory in November, 1836, when the city was still in the planning stages. Former federal judge James Duane Doty purchased the land earlier that year, and platted two cities on the more than one thousand acre parcel he had purchased. While Doty lobbied aggressively to have his new city selected as the capitol of the territory, it was the location of the proposed city that brought about the decision, being halfway between Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien, and central to northeastern Green Bay and the lead mining regions in the southwest. He named one of the platted cities Madison, after President James Madison who had only recently died, on June 28, 1836. He also gave the streets of Madison the names of the other 39 signers of the constitution.

The first capitol building was built in 1837. When Wisconsin became a state in 1848, Madison remained its capitol. The original capitol building was replaced in 1863.

Railroads began to be built in Wisconsin in the 1840's.

The Wisconsin Central Railway was established by an act of the Wisconsin State Legislature and incorporated in 1871.

The Chippewa Falls & Western Railroad began operations between Chippewa Falls and Eau Claire in 1874.

In 1877 the Wisconsin Central Railway entered Ashland, connecting it with Chicago.

The Chippewa Falls & Western Railroad became part of the Wisconsin Central Railway in 1880.

This map of the western United States was published in 1880 by Matthews-Northrup & Co. It shows relief, drainage, cities, towns, and clearly labeled railroad network of 1880. Its border is framed listing major stations along the railroad's route and a handy shippers guide.