Map showing the Delaware and
North River Railroad and its connections between Kingston, Port Jarvis
The North River is the antiquated name for the Hudson River. The North River is considered the south portion of the Hudson that is closest to Manhattan.
The Delaware & Hudson Canal Company built the canal system that was used to transport anthracite coal from the coal mining regions of northeast Pennsylvania, during the 1820's. The company’s first railroad was a gravity rail from the Wurts’ mine near Carbondale to the canal at Honesdale.
The Delaware & Hudson Canal Company purchased the Adirondack Railway from Saratoga Springs to North Creek in 1889. The railroad added the route between Stroudsburg and Kingston calling it the Delaware & North River line at that time.
This map of the northeastern United States was published in 1890 by G.W. & C.B. Colton & Co. It shows drainage, cities and towns, and the railroad network of 1890.