|You should check the legend of each map before you use it. The
legend will tell you what type of information can be found on the map
and which symbols are used to represent that information. Many maps will
use the same standard symbols, but the symbols can change from map to
map. Some maps will have more than one legend.
A political world map shows countries in different colors.
These maps usually have more man-made symbols than physical maps
??? Use the world map legend and world map to answer the following
1. Match the map symbol to its description, draw the symbol next to
||Space launch site
||City less than 500,000
2. The Russian Space Launch Site is actually located in the central
Asian country of Kazakhstan. What is its
3. What old Inca ruin is located high in the Andes Mountains of Peru,
4. What is the year that both India and Pakistan celebrate as their
Independence Date from the
5. The capital city of Malaysia (5 N, 100 E) is the site of the
tallest building in the world. What is the city's
6. The Kourou Space Center was built by the Europeans. What is the
name of the French Territory (South America) in which is it
7. The Mexican peninsula called Yucatan is the site of what ancient
8. Japan has many large cities. Which Japanese city shown on the map
has over 5,000,000 people?__________________________________________
9. Which South American country has the unusual situation of two
capital cities, LaPaz and
10. The second highest mountain in the world is located on the border
between Pakistan and China. What is its unusual
A line symbol represents a map feature that has the characteristic of
length. Rivers and boundaries are commonly shown as line symbols.
??? Use the world map legend and world map to answer the following.
11. Match the map symbol to its description, draw the symbol next to
12. Name the canal located in northeastern Egypt. Suez Canal What two
seas does the canal connect?__________________________________________
13. Name the country, which is completely surrounded by the nation of
14. How many countries does China share an international
15. The United Kingdom (northern Europe) has secondary boundaries.
Name the four internal divisions.
16. How many countries does Japan share an international boundary?
17. Find Saudi Arabia (20 N, 45 E). What type of boundary is shown
with its southern neighbor? __________________________________________
Why do you think that area is called the Rub Al Khali (Empty Quarter)?