|A physical map shows colors based on the elevation of the land above
sea level. There is a standard set of colors used to show elevations,
starting with greens for the lowlands, changing to yellow for middle
elevations, and turning to orange and brown for highlands. The Physical
Explorer World map's elevation colors are as follows;
||Elevation in Feet
||Elevation in Meters
||over 10,000 Ft.
||over 3,048 M.
||5,000 to 10,000 Ft.
||1,524 to 3,048 M.
||2,000 to 5,000 Ft.
||610 to 1,524 M.
||1,000 to 2,000 Ft.
||305 to 610 M.
||500 to 1,000 Ft.
||152 to 305 M.
||0 to 500 Ft.
||0 to 152 M.
??? Use the legend and the world map to answer the following
1. The highest mountain in the world is located between India and
China, in the country of Nepal. What is the name of the mountain?
Note: the mountain's elevation was adjusted in the year 2000; it was
29,028 feet, and has been changed to 29,035 feet.
2. Based on elevation colors, is Japan mostly (1) a low and flat
country, or (2) a high and mountainous country?
3. The green area around the Amazon River contains the largest rain
forest in the world. The Amazon River empties into the Atlantic Ocean,
but starts in the dark brown region to the west. What is the name of
this mountain range? ____________________________________
4. Locate the large, brown area in China labeled as the Plateau of
Tibet (also known as the "Roof of the World"). Name six major rivers
that drain from this region.
5. Find the Ural Mountains that divide Europe and Asia. Describe the
type of landform which surrounds these mountains?
6. Name the mountain range in Mongolia (between Russia and China)
that is over 5,000 feet in elevation.