Historic Map - Duluth, MN - 1893

View of Duluth, Saint Louis County, M.N., 1893 / drawn & published by American Publishing Co.

This bird’s-eye view print of Duluth, Minnesota was drawn and published by American Publishing Co. in 1893. Duluth has been an important Lake Superior trading port located at the headwaters of the Mississippi River since the area was part of New France. In 1855, when Saint Louis County was designated, Duluth was named its seat of government.

Copper began to be mined in the area and then iron ore, using an open-pit method. An extension of the Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad from St. Paul was added in the late 1860's. This railroad line enabled Duluth to transport the region’s iron ore and harvested timber more easily and the town began to boom.

Immigrants from all over Europe settled in Duluth and the area began to attract wealthy Americans as well, who considered the area to be a scenic get-a-way and built impressive vacation manors.

The map indicates an 1873 population of 5,000 and an 1893 population of 70,000. It includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad routes. Port activity along the Bay of Duluth and Lake Superior is displayed. There are inset illustrations of the following:

• Map of Duluth’s Transportation Facilities.
• Reference Map of Railroads and Steamship Lines.
• Chamber of Commerce.
• Duluth High School.
• Board of Trade Building.
• Lakeside.


Features references to the following locations:

Ironton Structural Steel Co.
Duluth Manufacturing Co.
Mitchell and McClure.
Merrill and Ring.
Marinette Iron Works Co.
Great Western Electric Co.
Duluth Novelty and Plating Co.
Scott and Holston Lumber Co.
Duluth Imperial Mill Co.
Duluth Roller Mill Co.
Pioneer Fuel Co.
Duncan, Brewer & Co.
J. B. Sutphin & Co.
National Iron Works.
Cutler & Gilbert.
The Duluth Dry Goods Co.
Duluth Shoe Co.
Chapin Wells Hardware Co.
Wells Stone Mercantile Co.
Stone & Orden.
Northwestern Fuel Co.
Union Depot.
Hartmann Electric Co.
The Spaulding.
Chamber of Commerce.
Boston Block.
Hotel St. Louis.
Torrey Block.
Board of Trade.
Exchange.
The Lyceum.
Palladio.
Government Building.
First National Bank Building.
Burrows Block.
Merchants Hotel.
Pastoret-Stenson Block.
Masonic Temple.
Duluth High School.
Pavillion and Incline R. R.
First M. E. Church.
Cathedral.
Mungers Terrace.
A. Fitger & Co.
Messick & Macanley.
Stephen Produce Commission Co.
Schulze Bros.
Sager Drug Co.
Duluth Crockery Co.
Historic Map – Duluth, MN - 1893

Item# Size Shp Wt Price Click to buy
1W-MN-DU-1893-S 24" x 13.5" 2 lbs $29.95 add to basket
1W-MN-DU-1893-M 36" x 20" 2 lbs $44.95 add to basket
1W-MN-DU-1893-L 42" x 23.5" 4 lbs $59.95 add to basket
 
View our selection of Historic Maps
View our selection of Minnesota Historical Maps
View our selection of Historic Map Gifts
View our selection of Historic Reproduction Globes
View our selection of Old World Globe Bars
 
All reproduction prints are printed as "museum quality", using advanced ink formulas and durable museum quality paper.  The reproduction prints reflect the state of repair of the original conserved document. Stains and imperfections reflected in the original map at the time it was collected for conservation are left un-retouched, as they reflect the character and charm of the vintage original. Some major imperfections, such as dark fold lines have been removed when possible.  Maps are printed as ordered and are not returnable unless received damaged.
   
Visit 1-World Decor