The Connecticut Western Railroad was organized in 1868, proposing a line from Hartford to the New York state line. The line was completed in 1871.
That same year it was proposed to bridge the Hudson River. The previous method of barging railroad cars across the river had been costly and slow. A bridge was finally completed at Poughkeepsie in 1888.
The Connecticut Western Railroad declared bankruptcy in 1880 and was reorganized in 1881 as the Hartford & Connecticut Western Railroad.
In 1869 construction began on the Grand Central Terminal on the corner of 42nd Street and 4th Avenue in Manhattan, New York. The station opened in 1871.
1871 Connecticut Western Railroad, eastern connections: at Springfield with the Massachusetts Western Railroad to Boston. At Hartford with the Hartford, Providence and Fishkill Railroad to Boston and Providence.
1871 Connecticut Western Railroad, western connections: with the Rondout and Eastern Railroad and the Dutchess and Columbia Railroad and connections, to Oswego, to Binghamton on the Erie Railway, and by way of the Delaware and Hudson Canal, the Wallkill Valley Railroad and the Newburg Branch of the Erie Railway, to the coal fields of Pennsylvania and the west.
Features references to the following railroads:
Connecticut Western Railroad.
Rondout & Eastern Railroad and connections.
Dutchess & Columbia Railroad and connections.
Massachusetts Western Railroad.
Hartford, Providence & Fishkill Railroad and connections.