Historic perspective map of Winchester, Virginia, drawn and published by
W. A. Ryan in 1926, reprint. A town with a rich Colonial history, the
town was first settled by Quakers who traveled up the Great Wagon Road
from Pennsylvania, followed by German and Scots-Irish families through
the 1730s. The county of Frederick was created in 1738, establishing a
County Court that held its first session in 1743. The first court clerk,
Colonel James Wood laid out the first 26 half-acre lots and built his
own residence, Glen Burnie, which is referenced on the map. The town was
granted the fourth charter in Virginia by the House of Burgess in 1750
and named Winchester, after the birthplace of Colonel Wood in England.
George Washington spent a great deal of time in Winchester while
working as a young surveyor. During the French and Indian War, relying
on his knowledge of the area, George Washington volunteered as
aide-de-camp to General Edward Braddock and joined his expeditionary
march to Fort Duqesne at the age of 23. Also joining the march as a
wagoner was Winchester resident Daniel Morgan. The march proved fatal
for General Braddock, who was shot off his horse and killed at the
Battle of Monongahela. Colonel Washington, however, had formed a rear
guard, which allowed the remnants of the retreating British forces to
disengage. The order he was able to impose earned him the title "Hero of
the Monongahela" and brought military glory and fame to the young
Colonel George Washington received land grated by James
Wood to design and construct Fort Loudoun in 1756. The fort was
constructed in present day downtown Winchester and is indexed on the
map, as is a site designated as George Washington's Headquarters in
1755. When the thirteen colonies revolted in 1775, General George
Washington was chosen as the commander of the Continental Army against
the British and stayed in command throughout the duration of the
American Revolutionary War. Winchester resident Daniel Morgan, now a
veteran of the French and Indian War, led "Morgan's Sharpshooters" from
Winchester in July, 1775, taking only 21 days to reach Boston. Morgan
continued to distinguish himself through the war, ultimately winning
glory in the Battle of the Cowpens at Saratoga, and eventually earning a
promotion to Brigadier General. Hessein soldier prisoners and other
prisoners-of-war built his house, known as "Saratoga". The house is
indexed on the map, but the year that it was built is stated in the
map's index as 1802, which is incorrect. General Morgan died in 1802,
and his grave is referenced on the map. The house built by the prisoners
was constructed in 1782, according to public records. The ruins of a
Lutheran Church that were used as a barracks during the Revolutionary
War are also indexed on the map.
Winchester changed hands as many
as 72 times during the Civil War, according to historical records. Both
Union General Sheridan's and the Confederate's Stonewall Jackson's
Headquarters are indexed on the map. Five battles took place directly in
the town of Winchester, with fighting along Main Street at different
times during the war. There were many private homes destroyed as well as
civilian casualties. The map indexes a Civil War cemetery and a monument
to the unknown dead of the Civil War.
The list of garages that
are indexed and the biplane flying in the sky above well illustrate that
Winchester is a modern 1920's town.
An inset map is featured in
the upper left corner of the map that provides directions to Opequon
Lake Park, offering "Camp Sites for Autoists, Camping Parties, 50 cents
Features numbered & lettered references to
the following locations:
Loudoun, built by Washington, 1756.
2. General Daniel Morgan's
home, built by Hessian prisoners, 1802.
3. Glen Burnie, home
of Gov. James Wood, built 1740.
4. Sheridan's Headquarters,
5. Stonewall Jackson Headquarters, Civil War.
6. Site of Winchester Medical College.
7. Cannon Ball House,
9. Red Lion Inn, built 1783.
County Court House, built 1840.
11. City Hall.
12. Old Taylor
Hotel, now Colonial Theatre.
13. Chamber of Commerce.
15. Farmers and Merchants National Bank.
16. Commercial and
17. Shenandoah Valley National Bank.
20. Empire Theatre.
21. George Washington's Headquarters,
22. John Kerr Public School - Primary Department.
Handley Schools - Intermediate and High.
24. City Reservoir.
Shenandoah Valley Academy.
26. Winchester Memorial Hospital.
Mount Hebron Cemetery.
28. Ruins Old Lutheran Church, Barracks during
the Revolutionary War.
29. General Morgan's Grave.
Unknown Dead, Civil War.
31. National Cemetery, Union Soldiers, Civil
32. National Fruit Product Company.
33. Shenandoah Apple
Cider and Vinegar Co.
34. Fair Grounds, Parking Space.
Winchester Cold Storage.
36. Robinson Cold Storage.
38. Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Passenger Station.
39. Virginia Woolen Company.
40. Lewis Jones Knitting Company.
Winchester Steam Laundry.
42. Pennsylvania Railroad, Passenger
43. Handley Library.
* American Legion Markers, No. 8
A. George Washington Hotel.
B. Hotel Jack.
C. Commercial Hotel.
D. Old Virginia Home.
E. Colonial Hotel.
F. City Hotel.
H. Virginia House.
I. G. F. House.
K. Winchester Inn.
L. Washington Inn.
Gray Gables Inn.
N. New Taylor Hotel.
(with Storage Space):
Auto Parts Corporation, 103 N. Loudoun - Hudson
J. Howard Cather & Co., 214 N. Cameron - Dodge.
Ebert, 28 N. Braddock - Buick, Cadillac.
George Washington Garage, N.
Loudoun - Chrysler Packard.
Guthridge Motor Company, N. Kent - Paige,
Landis Garage, 49 S. Cameron.
J. Mack Noonan, 24 Amherst
St., Auto Livery.
Overland Sales & Service, 7 S. Braddock - Overland,
Ramsburg Auto Sales Company, E. Piccadilly.
Rodgers, 6 Valley Avenue.
Winchester Auto Sales Company, 14 S.
Loudoun - Studebaker, Chevrolet.
Winchester Motor Company, 316 N.
Braddock - Ford, Lincoln.
White Way Garage, S. Loudoun.
||Click to buy
||24" x 17"
||36" x 26"
||42" x 30"
||59" x 42"
View our selection of
View our selection of
Virginia Historical Maps
View our selection of Historic Map Gifts
View our selection of
Historic Reproduction Globes
View our selection of
Old World Globe
All reproduction prints are
printed as "museum quality", using advanced ink formulas and durable
museum quality paper. The reproduction prints reflect the state of
repair of the original conserved document. Stains and imperfections
reflected in the original map at the time it was collected for
conservation are left un-retouched, as they reflect the character and
charm of the vintage original. Some major imperfections, such as dark
fold lines have been removed when possible. Maps are printed as ordered
and are not returnable unless received damaged.