Historic perspective map of Winchester, Virginia, drawn and published by W. A. Ryan in 1926, reprint. A town with a rich Colonial history, the town was first settled by Quakers who traveled up the Great Wagon Road from Pennsylvania, followed by German and Scots-Irish families through the 1730s. The county of Frederick was created in 1738, establishing a County Court that held its first session in 1743. The first court clerk, Colonel James Wood laid out the first 26 half-acre lots and built his own residence, Glen Burnie, which is referenced on the map. The town was granted the fourth charter in Virginia by the House of Burgess in 1750 and named Winchester, after the birthplace of Colonel Wood in England.
George Washington spent a great deal of time in Winchester while working as a young surveyor. During the French and Indian War, relying on his knowledge of the area, George Washington volunteered as aide-de-camp to General Edward Braddock and joined his expeditionary march to Fort Duqesne at the age of 23. Also joining the march as a wagoner was Winchester resident Daniel Morgan. The march proved fatal for General Braddock, who was shot off his horse and killed at the Battle of Monongahela. Colonel Washington, however, had formed a rear guard, which allowed the remnants of the retreating British forces to disengage. The order he was able to impose earned him the title "Hero of the Monongahela" and brought military glory and fame to the young colonel.
Colonel George Washington received land grated by James Wood to design and construct Fort Loudoun in 1756. The fort was constructed in present day downtown Winchester and is indexed on the map, as is a site designated as George Washington's Headquarters in 1755. When the thirteen colonies revolted in 1775, General George Washington was chosen as the commander of the Continental Army against the British and stayed in command throughout the duration of the American Revolutionary War. Winchester resident Daniel Morgan, now a veteran of the French and Indian War, led "Morgan's Sharpshooters" from Winchester in July, 1775, taking only 21 days to reach Boston. Morgan continued to distinguish himself through the war, ultimately winning glory in the Battle of the Cowpens at Saratoga, and eventually earning a promotion to Brigadier General. Hessein soldier prisoners and other prisoners-of-war built his house, known as "Saratoga". The house is indexed on the map, but the year that it was built is stated in the map's index as 1802, which is incorrect. General Morgan died in 1802, and his grave is referenced on the map. The house built by the prisoners was constructed in 1782, according to public records. The ruins of a Lutheran Church that were used as a barracks during the Revolutionary War are also indexed on the map.
Winchester changed hands as many as 72 times during the Civil War, according to historical records. Both Union General Sheridan's and the Confederate's Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters are indexed on the map. Five battles took place directly in the town of Winchester, with fighting along Main Street at different times during the war. There were many private homes destroyed as well as civilian casualties. The map indexes a Civil War cemetery and a monument to the unknown dead of the Civil War.
The list of garages that are indexed and the biplane flying in the sky above well illustrate that Winchester is a modern 1920's town.
An inset map is featured in the upper left corner of the map that provides directions to Opequon Lake Park, offering "Camp Sites for Autoists, Camping Parties, 50 cents per day".
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Fort Loudoun, built by Washington, 1756.
2. General Daniel Morgan's home, built by Hessian prisoners, 1802.
3. Glen Burnie, home of Gov. James Wood, built 1740.
4. Sheridan's Headquarters, Civil War.
5. Stonewall Jackson Headquarters, Civil War.
6. Site of Winchester Medical College.
7. Cannon Ball House, Civil War.
9. Red Lion Inn, built 1783.
10. Frederick County Court House, built 1840.
11. City Hall.
12. Old Taylor Hotel, now Colonial Theatre.
13. Chamber of Commerce.
14. Union Bank.
15. Farmers and Merchants National Bank.
16. Commercial and Savings Bank.
17. Shenandoah Valley National Bank.
18. Post Office.
20. Empire Theatre.
21. George Washington's Headquarters, 1755.
22. John Kerr Public School - Primary Department.
23. Handley Schools - Intermediate and High.
24. City Reservoir.
25. Shenandoah Valley Academy.
26. Winchester Memorial Hospital.
27. Mount Hebron Cemetery.
28. Ruins Old Lutheran Church, Barracks during the Revolutionary War.
29. General Morgan's Grave.
30. Monument Unknown Dead, Civil War.
31. National Cemetery, Union Soldiers, Civil War.
32. National Fruit Product Company.
33. Shenandoah Apple Cider and Vinegar Co.
34. Fair Grounds, Parking Space.
35. Winchester Cold Storage.
36. Robinson Cold Storage.
37. Virginia Barrel Company.
38. Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Passenger Station.
39. Virginia Woolen Company.
40. Lewis Jones Knitting Company.
41. Winchester Steam Laundry.
42. Pennsylvania Railroad, Passenger Station.
43. Handley Library.
* American Legion Markers, No. 8 omitted.
A. George Washington Hotel.
B. Hotel Jack.
C. Commercial Hotel.
D. Old Virginia Home.
E. Colonial Hotel.
F. City Hotel.
G. Fairfax Hotel.
H. Virginia House.
I. G. F. House.
J. Chanticleer Inn.
K. Winchester Inn.
L. Washington Inn.
M. Gray Gables Inn.
N. New Taylor Hotel.
GARAGES (with Storage Space):
Auto Parts Corporation, 103 N. Loudoun - Hudson Essex.
J. Howard Cather & Co., 214 N. Cameron - Dodge.
H. W. Ebert, 28 N. Braddock - Buick, Cadillac.
George Washington Garage, N. Loudoun - Chrysler Packard.
Guthridge Motor Company, N. Kent - Paige, Jewett.
Landis Garage, 49 S. Cameron.
J. Mack Noonan, 24 Amherst St., Auto Livery.
Overland Sales & Service, 7 S. Braddock - Overland, Willys-Knight.
Ramsburg Auto Sales Company, E. Piccadilly.
R. B. Rodgers, 6 Valley Avenue.
Winchester Auto Sales Company, 14 S. Loudoun - Studebaker, Chevrolet.
Winchester Motor Company, 316 N. Braddock - Ford, Lincoln.
White Way Garage, S. Loudoun.