|Activity Goal||To identify and use the legend and map symbols.|
|Materials Needed:||A pencil and a Cram Political World map.|
|You should check the legend of each map before you use it. The
legend will tell you what type of information can be found on the map
and which symbols are used to represent that information. Many maps will
use the same standard symbols, but the symbols can change from map to
map. Some maps will have more than one legend.
??? Use the world map legend and world map to answer the following questions.
1. Match the map symbol to its description, draw the symbol next to the description.
2. The Russian Space Launch Site is actually located in the central Asian country of Kazakhstan. What is its name?__________________________________________
3. What old Inca ruin is located high in the Andes Mountains of Peru, South America?__________________________________________
4. What is the year that both India and Pakistan celebrate as their Independence Date from the British?__________________________________________
5. The capital city of Malaysia (5 N, 100 E) is the site of the tallest building in the world. What is the city's name?__________________________________________
6. The Kourou Space Center was built by the Europeans. What is the name of the French Territory (South America) in which is it located?__________________________________________
7. The Mexican peninsula called Yucatan is the site of what ancient Mayan ruins?__________________________________________
8. Japan has many large cities. Which Japanese city shown on the map has over 5,000,000 people?__________________________________________
9. Which South American country has the unusual situation of two capital cities, LaPaz and Sucre?__________________________________________
10. The second highest mountain in the world is located on the border between Pakistan and China. What is its unusual name?__________________________________________
A line symbol represents a map feature that has the characteristic of length. Rivers and boundaries are commonly shown as line symbols.
??? Use the world map legend and world map to answer the following.
11. Match the map symbol to its description, draw the symbol next to the description.
12. Name the canal located in northeastern Egypt. Suez Canal What two seas does the canal connect?__________________________________________
13. Name the country, which is completely surrounded by the nation of South Africa.__________________________________________
14. How many countries does China share an international boundary?__________________________________________
15. The United Kingdom (northern Europe) has secondary boundaries. Name the four internal divisions. __________________________________________
16. How many countries does Japan share an international boundary? __________________________________________
17. Find Saudi Arabia (20 N, 45 E). What type of boundary is shown with its southern neighbor? __________________________________________ Why do you think that area is called the Rub Al Khali (Empty Quarter)? __________________________________________
Copyrighted Property Of George F. Cram Company, Inc.