White Plains, N.Y. 1887. Drawn &
published by L. R. Burleigh. Burleigh Litho. Establishment.
This reproduction bird's-eye view map of White Plains, New York was published by Lucien R. Burleigh in 1887. White Plains made history when a copy of the Declaration of Independence was first read publicly from its county courthouse steps in 1776. Delegates immediately approved the Declaration, declared the colony's independence and moved to form the State of New York. Later, at the "Battle of White Plains", Chatterton Hill (now called Battle Hill) was scarred forever when 4,000-6,000 British and Hessian soldiers under the leadership of General Sir William Howe clashed with about 1,600 Continental soldiers during the New York and New Jersey campaign.
White Plains maintained as a farming community throughout its history. In 1844, the New York Central Railroad arrived and in 1866 the village of White Plains was incorporated.
This panoramic map from 1887 shows White Plain's buildings, railroad routes and clearly labeled streets.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
1. Presbyterian Church
2. Methodist Church
3. Baptist Church
4. Episcopal Church
5. Catholic Church
6. Public Schools
7. Westchester County Jail
8. Westchester County Court House
9. Soldiers' Monument
10. Railroad Station