Historic map reprint of Staunton, Virginia, published by the American Publishing Co. in 1891. Once the geographical center of the British Colony of Virginia, the town was founded in 1747, and named after the Lady Rebecca Staunton, wife of the Royal Lieutenant Governor Sir William Gooch. Originally called Beverley's Mill, the town was first platted in 1746.
Staunton's development as a transportation and industrial center followed the arrival of the Virginia Central Railroad in 1854. The manufacturing of carriages and wagons, as well as textile products like shoes, blankets and clothing were to make Staunton an important supply depot for the Confederacy during the Civil War. 10,000 Union troops arrived on June 6, 1864, under the command of Major General David Hunter, to interrupt communication and supply lines used by the Confederacy. The following day, the railroad station was destroyed, along with factories, mills and warehouses that were useful to the Confederates. The non-industrial section of Staunton was spared destruction, leaving the town with its fine examples of Greek Revival and Federal Style architecture intact.
This map refers to the Western Lunatic Asylum of Virginia, which was established in 1828. The map was published just three years before the name was changed to Western State Hospital.
An inset map is featured that details Staunton's Railway connections.
The map features charming inset illustrations of the following sites:
The Staunton Female Seminary, Rev. James Wilks, Principal.
Virginia Female Institute, Mrs. Gen. J. B. B. Stuart, Principal.
Augusta Female Seminary, Miss M. J. Balwin, Principal.
Wesleyan Female Institute, Rev. W. A. Harris, Principal.
Young Men's Christian Association Building.
Staunton Military Academy.
John Kroder's Brass Goods & Curtain Pole Factories.
Staunton Development Company.
Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Passenger Depot.
Residence of M. N. Bradley, Staunton, Va.
Bodley Wagon Co.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
A. Trinity Episcopal Church and Chapel.
B. Baptist Church.
C. South Methodist Church.
D. Lutheran Church.
E. Second Presbyterian Church.
F. United Brethren Church.
G. First Presbyterian Church.
H. St. Francis Church.
I. Colored Churches.
P. Staunton Female Seminary.
Q. Virginia Female Institute.
R. Augusta Female Seminary.
S. Wesleyan Female Institute.
T. Staunton Military Academy.
U. Public Schools.
V. Catholic School.
X. Colored School.
1. Augusta County Court House.
2. Staunton City Hall.
3. City Water Works.
4. Fire Engine Houses.
5. Electric Light Works.
6. Gas Works.
7. Street Railway Stables.
8. Deaf and Dumb and Blind Institute of Virginia.
9. Western Lunatic Asylum of Virginia.
10. Chesapeake and Ohio Rail Road.
11. Baltimore & Ohio Rail Road.
13. Hotel Altemonte.
14. Hotel Kalorama.
15. Mozart Hotel.
16. Virginia Hotel.
"The Valley Virginian".
"Augusta County Argus".
National Valley Bank.
Augusta National Bank.
17. John Kroders Brass Goods and Curtain Pole Factories.
18. Bodley Wagon Co.'s Works.
19. Staunton Building Co.
20. Staunton Furniture Factory.
21. Staunton Shoe Factory.
23. Witz & Holts Flouring Mill.
24. Grahams Fertilizer Works.
25. O. K. Lapham & Co.'s Tannic Acid Works.
26. Lushbaugh's Sash and Blind Factory.
27. Carpenter Shop and Planing Mill.
28. Stockdons Foundry and Machine Shop.
29. Wilsons Steam Planing Mill.
30. Staunton Flouring Mill.
31. Staunton Steam Feed Mill.
32. Staunton Iron Works.
33. Bagby's Planing Mill.
34. Staunton Ice Factory.
35. Staunton Wood Mantel Co.