Staunton, Va. / drawn from nature by Ed. Beyer ; W. Rau.
Historic view of Staunton, Virginia, drawn from nature by Ed Beyer in 1857. Once the geographical center of the British Colony of Virginia, the town was founded in 1747, and named after the Lady Rebecca Staunton, wife of the Royal Lieutenant Governor Sir William Gooch. Originally called Beverley's Mill, the town was first platted in 1746.
Staunton's development as a transportation and industrial center followed the arrival of the Virginia Central Railroad in 1854, just three years before this map was published. The manufacturing of carriages and wagons, as well as textile products like shoes, blankets and clothing were to make Staunton an important supply depot for the Confederacy during the Civil War.