null

Historic Railroad Map of Wyoming - 1883

Code:
1W-WY-RR-1883-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
Holt's New Map of Wyoming, compiled by permission from official records in U.S. Land Office.

Railroads began to be built in Wyoming in the 1860's, following the arrival of the Union Pacific Railroad. The railroad helped settle Wyoming as connecting railroads began to reach all corners of the state.

When oil and natural gas reserves were discovered near Rock Springs, the Union Pacific Railroad quickly extended a rail to the town and established a coal company there.

The city of Green River was incorporated in 1868. Shortly after the formation of the town, the area was selected as the site of the division point for the Union Pacific Railroad. The railroad was unaware that a town already existed at that location, and moved the division point to nearby Bryan.

Green River soon thereafter saw its population drop from 2,000 to just 101 residents. As the city was close to collapse, the Black Fork River dried up due to a drought and the railroad moved the division point back to Green River, saving the town.

The Wyoming Territory was established in 1868. Wyoming became the 44th state in 1890.

This map was published in 1883 by G.W. & C.B. Colton & Co. It displays relief, drainage, cities, towns, range boundaries, and mineral regions. Railroads are listed and pinpointed.

The map shows Wyoming as containing eight counties. Today the state has twenty-three.