Map of the Seaboard and Raleigh
Railroad and its connections.
In the years following the American Civil War, Raleigh became an important educational center for former slaves seeking instruction in the new opportunities offered.
A state-run deaf and blind school for African Americans operated in Raleigh, as well as the Episcopal church-funded St. Augustine School. Shaw University was known as Shaw Collegiate Institute in 1872. Its female dormitory Estey Hall was added in 1873.
Peace Institute finally opened its doors to provide education of liberal arts in 1872, after being temporarily used as a hospital during wartime.
Raleigh could be reached by the North Carolina Railroad, the Raleigh & Augusta Railway or the Raleigh & Gaston Railroad during this era. The Raleigh & Gaston line maintained valuable machine shops and yards in Raleigh.
This map of the southern United States from Virginia to South Carolina was published in 1874 by G.W. & C.B. Colton & Co. It shows cities, towns, waterways, and the railroad network of 1874.