null

Historic Map - Bayfield, WI - 1886

Code:
1W-WI-BA-1886-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
Bird's eye view of Bayfield, Wis., county seat of Bayfield County 1886. H. Wellge, sk. Beck & Pauli, litho.

Bird's-eye view map of Bayfield, Wisconsin, published by Norris, Wellge & Co. in 1886, reprint. While it is known that at least eight different Native American tribes have lived along the Chequamegon Bay, it was the Ojibwe Tribe that welcomed the first French fur traders who arrived in 1659.

Capturing the town as it appeared just three years after the arrival of the railroad in 1883, this map shows a town poised for growth, with expectations of a tourism industry as well as brownstone quarrying to add to the established fishing and lumber processing industries that were already in place. The County Seat of Bayfield County, an elaborate sandstone court house building was built in 1883 that is referenced on the map.

"Gateway to the Apostle Islands", a small map inset in the lower left corner features Bayfield and the Apostle Islands.

Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:

  2. The Island View Hotel, N. P. Willey & Son, Proprietors.
  3. J. H. Nourse, Dry Goods, Shoes, Clothing, Provisions, etc.
  4. Wm. Haskins, Groceries and Provisions and Meat Market.
  5. Andrew Tate, Drugs and Medicines.
  6. F. Boutin, General Store.
  7. La Bonte House, N. La Bonte, Proprietor.
  8. C. T. Andreas, Jeweler, L. S. Specimens and News Depot.
  9. D. Allen Pratt, Furniture and Undertaking.
10. D. J. Etsell, Hardware.
11. Erwin Leihy, General Merchandise.
12. Harbor City House and Livery, H. B. Lindsey, Proprietor.
13. German House, George A. Stahl, Proprietor.
14. Boutin & Mahan, General Merchandise and Wholesale Fish Dealers, N. Boutin, Postmaster.
 A. County Court House.
 B. Episcopal Church.
 C. Methodist Church.
 D. Catholic Church .
 E. New School House.
 G. School House.
 H. Catholic School.
 K. Convent.
 L. U. S. Land Office.
 T. Town Hall.
 P. Pikes Saw Mill, Planing Mill, Docks, Office, Captain R. D. Pike, Proprietor.
 R. Railroad Depot, C. St., P. M. & O. R. R.
 N. Bayfield County Press, Currie G. Bell, Proprietor.
 V. Dalrymple Dock.
15. Fred. Fischer, General Merchandise.
16. Robert Inglis, General Ticket Office and Insurance.
17. William Herbert, Harbor City Saloon.
18. Cream City House, L. Bachand, Proprietor.
19. Miss Nellie Tyler, Millinery and Fancy Goods.
20. John Stuart, Groceries and Provisions.
21. Lake View Hosue, J. P. Howley, Proprietor.
22. Union House, S. Boutin, Proprietor.
23. A. C. Hayward, General Merchandise and Indian Curios.
24. Dr. H. Hannum, M. D. Residence, Office at Tate's Drug Store.
25. James Chapman, General Merchandise.
     
La POINTE: Madelaine Island, The oldest Trading Point in the Northwest, Settled in 1667.