This panoramic print of Champaign, Illinois was drawn by Albert Ruger and published by Chicago Lith. Co. in 1869. Champaign was founded in the 1850's when the Illinois Central Railway established their route just west of Urbana labeling the community West Urbana.
Mainly an agricultural region, the area was well known for its learning institutions. Male and female seminaries were established at Urbana.
Mathias Dunlap began operations in West Urbana of a nursery and fruit farm using the scientific principles of the day. The instructional facility that was developed from the farm became known as Illinois Industrial University. In 1885 the school’s name was changed to the University of Illinois. Champaign’s name became official in 1860.
The map produced in 1869 includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad routes.
Features references to the following locations:
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.