This bird’s-eye view print of Chattanooga, Tennessee was drawn by Henry Wellge and published by Norris, Wellge & Co. in 1886. In 1838, Chattanooga emerged from a small flat-bottom boat landing along the banks of the Tennessee River. Chattanooga prospered with manufacturing interests and transportation; first by use of riverboats and then with railroads.
In 1878, Chattanooga experienced a yellow fever epidemic brought on by refugees of other fever stricken communities who were looking for relief from the illness, as Chattanooga was thought to be safe. What followed left many in Chattanooga fleeing town, as the epidemic quickly spread throughout the local community. Many refugees died, as well as those who decided to stay behind and tend the victims.
In 1887, work began on a new inn at Lookout Mountain.
The map notes Chattanooga’s population to be 30,000. It includes labeled streets, buildings, railroad lines and riverboat activity. It features inset illustrations of the Cities Furnace and Chattanooga Iron Company.
Features references to the following locations:
Lookout Fire Co., No. 1.
First District School.
St. Peter’s & St. Paul’s Church.
Notre Dame de Lourdes Academy.
W. U. Telegraph Office.
Carlile Fire Co., No. 2.
Union Passenger Depot.
Shiloh Baptist Church (Colored).
First M. E. Church.
Centenary M. E. Church.
Church of Christ (Christian).
First Presbyterian Church.
First Baptist Church.
Wesley Chapel (Colored Methodist).
St. Paul’s Church (Episcopal).
Second Presbyterian Church.
First Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
South Tredegar Iron Works.
Lookout Iron Co.
Wasen Car & Foundry Co.
Fayerweather & Leidews Tannery.
Chattanooga Iron Co.
Meretague & Co. Fire Clay Works.
Roan Iron Works.
Park Place Church.
Third National Bank.
Old Fort Wood.
Chattanooga Orphan Home.
First National Bank.
Signal Point, Canum Hill.
Central Block. City Savings Bank.
Consolidated Cast Iron Pipe Works.