Historic Map - Clarksville, TN - 1870
View of Clarksville, Montgomery County, T.N., 1870 / drawn & published by A. Ruger.
This bird’s-eye view print of Clarksville, Tennessee was drawn by Albert Ruger and published by Stoner & Ruger in 1870. Clarksville was established in 1785 along the banks of the Cumberland River and named after Revolutionary War hero General George R. Clark; frontiersman William Clark’s elder brother. The town was surveyed and plotted as payment to Continental soldiers and their families for their service during the war.
Tobacco was the first main crop raised in the area and Clarksville became an important inspection center and transportation hub for that product and others. The Louisville & Memphis Railroad began to serve the community in 1859.
During the American Civil War, Clarksville was captured and occupied by northern troops.
Clarksville’s noted Stewart College is now known as Austin Peay State University.
The map, looking south east, includes labeled streets, buildings, railroad lines and riverboat activity. It features inset illustrations of Stewart College and Clarksville Seminary.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Court House.
- County Jail.
- Market House.
- Gas Works.
- Stewart College.
- L. & M. R. R. Depot.
- Baptist Church.
- Episcopal Church.
- Christian Church.
- Methodist Church.
- First Presbyterian Church.
- Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
- R. Catholic Church.
- African Church.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.