View of Erie, Erie County, P.A., 1909 / drawn & published by Chas. Lederle & Co.
This birds-eye view print map of Erie, Pennsylvania was drawn by Charles Lederle and published by Chas. Lederle & Co. in 1909. Erie was founded in 1795 as a port town. It was plotted and laid out by Andrew Ellicott with measurements of an upended slaty shale stone called The Erie Stone. The stone was labeled with the latitude of 42 degrees, 8 feet, 14 inches and enabled the planner to keep the town streets and alleys uniform.
A Grecian style custom house was designed by William Kelly and built along State Street in 1838. President Taylor stayed in Erie shortly before his death in 1850.
The map shows some of the original layout of the Erie Canal as it flows into Lake Erie. The original canal was opened in 1825 and thereafter enlarged until 1862. The valuable waterway encouraged much growth in Erie. In the early 1900's, the New York State Barge Canal was busy enlarging and altering the canal and many of the water routes were being converted for railroad use and manufacturing sites. Erie was a major steel manufacturing city in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
The map from 1909 includes canal, streets, buildings and railroad routes.