null

Historic Map - Fort Wayne, IN - 1907

Code:
1W-IN-FW-1907-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear

Griswold's birdseye view of the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana indexed for ready reference. B. J. Griswold.

Historic map reprint of Fort Wayne, Indiana, published in 1907. Named in honor of the United States general who defeated the Miami tribe that had settled at the confluence of the Maumee, St. Joseph and St. Mary's Rivers, Fort Wayne was known as the Miami village "Kekionga", and was the traditional capital of the Miami Nation. A French outpost was established at Kekionga by fur trader's beginning in the 1680's and the French built "Fort Miamis" there in 1697. Ceded to the British Empire following the French and Indian War, Kekionga was taken back from the British by the Miami tribe as part of the Native American led "Pontiac's Rebellion" in 1763, and remained under Miami control for more than thirty years. George Washington ordered the United States Army to secure Indiana for the United States in 1790 and it was General "Mad" Anthony Wayne who led the final expedition to remove the Indian settlement in order to secure the Wabash-Erie portage. A new fort was built at the three rivers and named Fort Wayne in honor of the general. The city of Fort Wayne was officially incorporated in 1840.

This map from 1907 features the following "booster" statement in the upper right corner of the map:

"Fort Wayne has a population of something over 60,000. It is the seat of government of Allen County, Indiana. It is situated at the junction of the St. Joseph and the St. Mary's rivers which here form the Maumee. Four great trunk lines of railway pass through it, it has eight railroads in all. It has five interurban electric lines with more building. It is distant 102 miles from Indianapolis, the state capital, and 147 miles from Chicago. It has 1,238 Business and industrial institutions; it has 240 manufacturing industries; it has $12,982,000 invested in manufacturing; salaries paid during 1906, $1,012,128; number of wage earners (1906), 8,224; wages paid (1906) $3,919,588; total salaries and wages paid (1906), $4,931,716; value of manufactured products (1906), $5,129,652. During fifteen years there has been expended $2,465,333 for street, sewer and sidewalk improvements; of this amount, $1,684,937 was for paving. Fort Wayne has thirty-eight miles of paved streets, twenty-one of which are of sheet asphalt, and seventeen of vitrified shale brick. The total length of the sewer system is eighty and one-half miles. The streets are lighted by 375 arc lights of 2,000 candle-power each, at a total cost of $26,250 annually. Fort Wayne has eight beautiful parks, the total area of which is 111 acres. There are no "keep-off-the-grass" signs. Its new high school building cost $275,000; the total value of the nineteen city school buildings and grounds is $804,800. Total public school enrollment, May, 1906, was 6,376. There are twenty-six Protestant English churches, which combined have 10,062 communicants, and a Sunday school enrollment of 6,965. The church property is valued at $756,900. The German Protestant churches number eleven, all owning valuable property and in a flourishing condition. There are six Catholic churches, all in a prosperous condition. The Catholic church maintains St. Joseph hospital, St. Rochus' hospital, St. Vincent's orphan home and several parochial institutions. The Fort Wayne Lutheran hospital is controlled by the Lutheran churches; Hope hospital is a Protestant institution. There is one prosperous Jewish church, the congregation of Achduth Veshalom synagogue. Fort Wayne's export trade amounted during 1906 to 20,000 tons, or 1,200 carloads, to foreign countries. Among its chief products sent abroad are pianos, organs, hardwood lumber, handles, machinery and engines, gas-making machinery, electrical machinery, road-making machinery, windmills, wagons, safety valves, oil tanks, pumps, flour, furs, pulleys, cooperage supplies, automobile specialties, bicycle rims, car wheels, iron castings and washing machines. Fort Wayne has four national banks and four trust companies; total deposits (1906), $11,094, 062, an increase of $8,334,826 over 1896. The government building in Fort Wayne cost $264,000. Average daily postal receipts, $625. Fifty-two rural postal routes are carried from Fort Wayne, covering a total of 1,326 miles daily. Fort Wayne has immense railroad shops, employing 3,000. Other large employers are the Bass Foundry and Machine Works, employing 1,200; the Fort Wayne Electric Works, employing 1,000; the Wayne Knitting Mills, employing 1,000; the Fort Wayne Rolling Mills, employing 400; the Western Gas Construction Company, the Kerr-Murray Manufacturing Company, S. F. Bowser & Company, the Packard Company and the Knott-VanArnam Company. Robison Park, seven miles north of Fort Wayne, connected by an electric line, is the most famous pleasure park in Indiana. Fort Wayne has a beautiful public library, costing $100,000. It has two fine theatres. It has twenty-four miles of electric street railway. The new power station of the Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Company was completed at a cost of $800,000. Fort Wayne has a beautiful city building, built of brown stone, costing $100,000. Fort Wayne is the seat of the Indiana School for Feeble-Minded Youth. Fort Wayne's jobbing trade is immense. The principal lines are groceries, confectionery, shoes, dry goods, bakery products, cigars, shirt waists, clothing, drugs, gloves and mittens, crockery and glassware, heavy hardware, ladies' skirts, paper, soap, etc. Fort Wayne has a million-dollar court house. The city contains nine square miles of area. It is surrounded by unsurpassed farming country. It has an electric fire alarm system. Its waterworks are valued at $2,000,000. There are ninety-five and one-half miles of distributing pipe. It has eight paid fire companies. It has two companies of Indiana National Guard, an associated charities association, a humane society, a Young Men's Christian Association, a Young Woman's Christian Association, two modern telephone systems with a total of 4,000 subscribers, two long-distance telephone systems, three district telegraph offices, six express companies, sixty-two arriving and departing trains daily, free and paid kindergartens, fourteen parochial schools, two commercial colleges, Concordia college, a Catholic high school for young men, five daily newspapers, six weekly newspapers, four loan and trust companies, three private banks, six building and loan associations, three commercial agencies, two breweries, two public markets, forty-two labor organizations, a golf club, two G. A. R. posts, ten Masonic lodges, seventy-two secret and benevolent societies, a German turnverein, a Manufacturer's Club, a Retail Merchants' Association. It has a Commercial Cub, whose secretary will be pleased to furnish any information concerning Fort Wayne."

Features references to the following locations:>

CITY AND COUNTY BUILDINGS

  • Allen County Asylum
  • Allen County Orphan Home
  • City Hall
  • Court House (Allen County)
  • Garbage Crematory (City)
  • Jail (Allen County)
  • Light, Heat and Power Plant (Allen County)
  • Market (City)
  • Post Office
  • Public Library
  • Water Works Pumping Station, No. 1 - No. 3

CITY PARKS

  • Hanaa Park
  • Hayden Park
  • Lawton Park
  • McCulloch Park
  • Old Fort Park
  • Orff Park
  • Reservoir Park
  • Swinney Park
  • Williams Park

FIRE DEPARTMENT

  • Central Fire Station
  • Engine House No. 2
  • Engine House No. 3
  • Engine House No. 4
  • Engine House No. 5
  • Engine House No. 6
  • Engine House No. 7
  • Engine House No. 8

PUBLIC SCHOOLS

  • Bloomingdale School
  • Clay School
  • Franklin School
  • Hamilton School
  • Hanna School (New)
  • Hanna School (Old)
  • Harmer School
  • High School (New)
  • High School (Old)
  • Hoagland School
  • Holton Avenue School
  • Jefferson Street School
  • Lakeside School
  • McCulloch School
  • Miner School
  • Nebraska School
  • Rudisill School
  • South Wayne School
  • Washington School
  • Adams Township School No. 3
  • Wayne Township School No. 3

CHURCHES

Baptist:

  • Beaver Chapel
  • First Baptist Church
  • Sunnyside Mission

Christian:

  • East End Tabernacle
  • West Jefferson Street Church of Christ
  • West Creighton Ave. Church of Christ
  • Congregational:
  • Plymouth Congregational Church

Dunkard:

  • Dunkard Church

Episcopal:

  • St. Andrew's Mission
  • Trinity Episcopal Church
  • Evangelical Association:
  • Bethel Evangelical Church

Hebrew:

  • Achduth Veshalom Temple

Lutheran:

  • Christ's Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • Concordia Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • Emmaus Lutheran Church
  • Grace German Evangelical Church
  • Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
  • St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • St. Paul's German Lutheran Church
  • Trinity English Lutheran Church
  • Trinity German Lutheran Church
  • Zion German Lutheran Congregational Church

Mennonite:

  • Mennonite Church
  • Methodist Episcopal
  • African M. E. Church
  • First M. E. Church
  • Free M. E. Church
  • St. Paul's M. E. Church
  • Simpson M. E. Church
  • Trinity M. E. Church
  • Wayne Street M. E. Church
  • Presbyterian:
  • Bethany Presbyterian Church
  • First Presbyterian Church
  • Westminster Presbyterian Church
  • Third Presbyterian Church

Reformed:

  • Grace English Reformed Church
  • St. John's Reformed Church
  • Salem Church (Ger.)

Roman Catholic:

  • Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
  • Church of the Precious Blood
  • St. Joseph's Chapel
  • St. Mary's German Catholic Church
  • St. Patrick's Catholic Church
  • St. Paul's German Catholic Church
  • St. Peter's German Catholic Church

Salvation Army:

  • Salvation Army Citadel

Scientist:

  • First Church of Christ, Scientist
  • United Brethren:
  • Calvary United Brethren Church

COLLEGES AND SCHOOLS

  • Academy of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart
  • Cathedral High School for Young Men
  • Cathedral Schools
  • Concordia College (German Lutheran)
  • Concordia School (Evangelical Lutheran)
  • Emanuel School (Evangelical Lutheran)
  • Fort Wayne Art School
  • Fort Wayne Bible Training School
  • Fort Wayne Business College
  • Fort Wayne Conservatory of Music
  • Grace School (German Evangelical Lutheran)
  • International Business College
  • St. Augustine's Academy (Catholic)
  • St. John's School (Evangelical Lutheran)
  • St. Mary's School for Boys (German Catholic)
  • St. Mary's School for Girls (German Catholic)
  • St. Patrick's School (Catholic)
  • St. Paul's School (German Catholic)
  • St. Paul's School (German Lutheran)
  • St. Peter's School (German Catholic)
  • School of the Precious Blood (Catholic)
  • Trinity School (German Lutheran)
  • Zion School (German Lutheran)

HOSPITALS

  • Fort Wayne Lutheran Hospital
  • Hope Hospital (nondenominational)
  • Indiana School F. M. Y. (hospital)
  • Isolation Hospital (Contagious Diseases)
  • St. Joseph's Hospital (Catholic)
  • St. Rochus' Hospital (Catholic)

HOTELS

  • Aveline Hotel
  • Randall Hotel
  • Rich Hotel
  • Wayne Hotel

CHARITABLE AND BENEVOLENT INSTITUTIONS

  • Allen County Asylum
  • Allen County Orphan Home
  • Indiana School for Feeble Minded Youth
  • Orphan Home of Reformed Church
  • St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum

THEATERS AND PLACES of AMUSEMENT

  • Baseball Park
  • Centlivre Park
  • Circus Grounds (east side)
  • Circus Grounds (west side)
  • Curling Rink
  • Delta Lake Bathing Resort
  • Fort Wayne Fair Grounds
  • Majestic Theatre
  • Masonic Temple Theatre
  • Princess Rink
  • Robison Park
  • Saengerbund Hall

LIBRARIES

  • Allen County Law Library (in Court House)
  • Concordia College Library
  • Fort Wayne Catholic Library Hall
  • Public Library
  • Y. W. C. A. Library

CLUBS

  • Anthony Wayne Club
  • Corner Rod and Gun Club
  • Kekionga Golf Club
  • St. Joe Athletic Club
  • Turnverelin Vortwaerts Society

CEMETERIES

  • Achduth Veshalom Cemetery (Jewish)
  • Catholic Cemetery
  • Concordia Cemetery (Lutheran)
  • Lindenwood Cemetery
  • St. John's German Lutheran Cemetery

RAILROADS

  • Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton R. R., Freight Depot and Passenger Station
  • Grand Rapids & Indiana R. R., Freight Depot and Passenger Station
  • Lake Erie & Fort Wayne R. R., Freight Depot and Passenger Station
  • Lake Erie & Western R. R., Freight Depot and Passenger Station
  • Lake Shore & Michigan Southern R. R., Freight Depot and Passenger Station, and Yards
  • N. Y., Chicago & St. Louis R. R. (Nickel Plate), Freight Depot and Passenger Station, and Yards
  • Pitts, Fort Wayne & Chicago R. R. (Pennsylvania Lines), Roundhouse, Shops and Offices, Freight Depot and Passenger Station, and East Yards
  • Wabash Railroad, Roundhouse, Shops, Freight Depot and Passenger Station

INTERURBAN ELECTRIC LINES

  • Chicago & Toledo Traction Line
  • Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Line
  • Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Line (Bluffton Branch)
  • Fort Wayne, Van Wert & Lima Traction Line
  • Springfield, Decatur & Fort Wayne Traction Line
  • Car Barns, Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Co.
  • Interurban Railway Freight Depot
  • Interurban Railway Passenger Station
  • New Power House, Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Co.

MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES

  • Adams & Taylor Machine Co.
  • Archer Printing Co.
  • Artificial Ice Co.
  • Barr Street Foundry
  • Bash Packing Co.
  • Bass Foundry and Machine Co.
  • Berghoff Brewing Co.
  • Bibb Hoop Co.
  • Boss Mfg. Co. (Gloves)
  • Bowser (S. F.) & Co. (Oil Tanks)
  • Centlivre (C. L.) Brewing Co.
  • Central Foundry
  • Chauvey Bros. (Wagons).