Historic Map - Fort Worth, TX - 1891
Perspective map of Fort Worth, Texas, published in 1891. Established in 1849, the city was named in honor of Major General William Jenkins Worth, a hero of the Mexican-American War and commander of the "Department of Texas" when he died in 1849. The arrival of the Texas & Pacific Railway in 1876, made Fort Worth a major transportation center for trail drives using the Old Chisholm Trail north to Dodge City, and the westernmost point for railway transportation of cattle. The "Queen City of the Plains" developed a reputation as a rough and tumble town, with a section on the south-side called "Hell's Half Acre", filled with gambling saloons and brothels, there to take advantage of the cowboys who passed through on trail drives. A shoot-out on Main Street and the brutal murder of a prostitute in 1887 led to reforms that tamed "Hell's Half Acre". This map captures the town as it transitions from the "Wild West" reputation to a respectable Texas town.
The map features a single detailed illustration inset in the lower left margin of the "New England Savings Bank & Trust Co.'s Building", also noted as the "Hurley Office Building".
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.