Bird's eye view of the city of Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama 1871.
Reproduction bird's-eye view map of Huntsville, Alabama looking northwest drawn by Albert Ruger and published by Ehrgott & Krebs Co. in 1871. Huntsville, the county seat for Madison County, was called "Twickenham" by the first settlers, Freemasons John Hunt and Leroy Pope, in the early 1800s Considering the anti-English sentiments of the time it was renamed Huntsville in 1811 after Mr. Hunt.
The town along Big Spring became home to mills and factories. Many antebellum homes were built here using the Greek-Revival architecture brought to Huntsville by Virginia architect George Steele. The Memphis and Charleston Railroad through Huntsville was the first railway connection to link the Atlantic waters with the lower Mississippi River.
At the onset of the American Civil War, Huntsville had opposed secession from the Union, but began making ammunitions and supplying Confederate troops. In 1862, Union troops stormed Huntsville and cut off the Confederacy's railroad supplies, but retreated later. In 1863, Union troops returned and used Huntsville as an operations base for the rest of the war. After the war Huntsville remained a textile town, having several cotton textile mills, each one having their own communities including schools and churches, all within walking distance to their mill.
The map features inset illustrations of:
- Huntsville Spring
- Court House
The map includes clearly labeled street names showing railroad and carriage traffic.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Court House
- County Jail
- Market House
- Spring Water Works
- Reservoir Water Works
- Female College
- Female Seminary
- M. & C. R. R. Depot 9. Baptist Church
- Episcopal Church
- Methodist Church
- Presbyterian Church
- Cumberland Presbyterian Church
- Roman Catholic Church
- African Church