| This panoramic print of New Castle, Pennsylvania was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1896. New Castle sits at the confluence of Neshannock Creek and the Shenango River. The land on which New Castle stands has been found to be rich in quartz, coal and fire clay. The original town grid was laid out in the late 1700's by John C. Stewart, incorporating wide straight streets with an open market space at the center of town. The town’s first post office opened in 1812 with Joseph T. Boyd as postmaster. Bridges, and ferries before them, have always been important to New Castle for transportation across the many waterways. The first bridge to cross the Neshannock was completed in 1814 and the first to cross the Shenango opened in 1815. These early bridges were wooden built crossings that were replaced in the 1830's with iron trestles.
New Castle was incorporated as a borough in 1825 and the next year added its first news publication, the “New Castle Register” with David Crawford as editor. In 1833, an extension of the Erie Canal system from New Castle to Beaver was completed enabling farmers to efficiently transport produce. The extension was expanded by 1845 to reach Erie. A flood in 1835 swept away the west end of the canal dam, washing away land below it and transforming the river’s route forever. In the mid-1800's, Amish families began to settle north of New Castle, where they have remained to this day. The town’s court house was completed in 1852 and the New Castle Gaslight Company was organized in 1856. An opera house was completed in 1867 along Mercer Street. The building contained a market house for butchers and market men on the main level and an opera house occupying the upper portion with a grand stage and box and gallery seating for a thousand.
The map from 1896 includes streets, buildings, bridges and railroad lines.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Public Schools.
2. Court House.
3. Opera House.
4. Shenango Hospital.
5. Fountain Inn. D. M. Cibbinson, Proprietor.
6. Leslie House.
7. New Hotel Excelsior. Wilhelm Schmid, Proprietor.
8. Hotel Simpson. Wm. W. Simpson, Proprietor.
9. Nickum House. L. S. Nickum, Proprietor.
10. Hotel Wiedmayer. Christ. Kahier, Proprietor.
11. New Castle Wire Nail Co.
12. New Castle Steel & Tin Plate Co.
13. Vulcan Iron Co., Ltd.
14. Artificial Ice Plant. John Treser, Proprietor.
15. Elliott, Washington Steel Co.
16. Machine Works. Frank C. Douds & Co.
17. Brick Works. M. S. Marquis, Proprietor.
18. Mfg. Plant. E. A. McMillin, Proprietor.
19. New Castle Mill Co.
20. Planing Mill & Lumber Yard. C. M. Crawford, Proprietor.
21. Atlantic Iron & Steel Co.
22. Lawrence Glass Co.
23. Shenango Glass Co.
24. Gas Works.
25. Etna Furnace.
26. Rosanna Furnace.
27. Machine Shop.
28. Red Jacket Furnace.
29. Rod Mill.
30. Sheet & Plate Mill.
31. Shenango Valley Steel Co.
32. Union R. R. Station.
33. E. & P. R. R. Station.
34. N. Y. P. & O. R. R. Station.
A. Church of the Disciples.
B. First M. E. Church.
C. Epworph. M. E. Church.
D. Croton M. E. Church.
E. First Baptist Church.
F. Second Baptist Church.
G. St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.
H. St. Mary’s Catholic Church.
I. Evangelical Church.
J. First U. P. Church.
K. Second U. P. Church.
L. First Presbyterian Church.
M. Central Presbyterian Church.
N. Primitive Methodist Church.
O. Reformed Presbyterian Church.
P. St. Paul Ev. Lutheran Church.
Q. Trinity Church.
R. Swede Church.