Map showing the line of the Lake
Erie & Louisville Railway and its connections.
In the 1850's the Fremont & Indiana Railroad was established to run southwest from Fremont, Ohio towards the Indiana border. Through bankruptcy proceedings in 1862 the line was restructured as the Fremont, Lima & Union Railroad Company.
In 1872 it merged with the Lake Erie & Pacific Railroad Company to form the Lake Erie & Louisville Railroad Company. The railroad’s goal was to connect Louisville with Fremont and the Sandusky River where passengers and freight could be safely transferred onto steamers for crossing of the lake to Buffalo, New York.
Unfortunately, the Panic of 1873 delayed railroad building for some time and the Lake Erie & Louisville Railroad was foreclosed on in 1874. It was purchased by the Lake Erie & Western Railway in 1879.
This map published in 1872 by G.W. & C.B. Colton & Co. shows drainage, cities, towns and counties. It displays color coded railroad network celebrating the consolidation of the Fremont, Lima & Union and the Lake Erie & Pacific Railroads on February 4, 1865.
Included are portions of Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.