Map showing the completed lines
of the Milwaukee & Saint Paul Railway Company.
This successful standard-gauge railway began as a short line between Milwaukee and Waukesha in the 1840's. Gradual expansion westward through Madison, the line reached Prairie du Chien and the Mississippi Riverin the late 1850's, where it was extended north along the river to Saint Paul.
Minnesota earned statehood in 1858, with Saint Paul named capital.
The railroad was restructured after the civil war as the Milwaukee & Saint Paul Railway. In the 1870's a line was built connecting the railway east with Chicago. At that point the railroad was referred to as the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company.
By the turn of the twentieth century the popular railroad reached west to Seattle, Washington, and was known as the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railway Co.
This general map of the north-central states shows waterways, cities, towns and counties. Completed railroads are distinguished by color. Included are portions of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinios and Michigan.
The map, published in 1872 by G.W. & C.B. Colton & Co. It includes a list of completed, and under construction, railroad connections and their mileage.