Map of Peru and Indianapolis
Railroad with connections.
The Peru & Indianapolis Railroad was chartered in 1846. A portion of the new line became operational in 1851. It was renamed the Indianapolis, Peru & Chicago Railway in 1864. In 1880 it was linked together with several other short railroads by attorney Calvin S. Brice who was a member of the Seney Syndicate. It now formed part of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad.
The Seney Syndicate was made up of bankers and speculators from New York, Illinois and Ohio who managed railroad companies and supported changes within the railroad system to better accommodate the growing need for transportation of coal and other resources.
In 1900 the Lake Erie & Western Railroad became controlled by the New York Central Railroad. The line was acquired by the Nickel Plate Road in 1922.
This outline map of the north-central and northeastern United States was published in the 1850's by George E. Leefe. It displays colorful state boundaries, major place names, waterways, and the railroad network of the time.