This bird’s-eye view print of Asheville, North Carolina was drawn by Albert Ruger and J. J. Stoner and published by Burleigh Lithographing Establishment in 1891. Asheville was established in the late 1700's at the confluence of the Swannanoa and French Broad Rivers in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The town, named for the governor of North Carolina at the time Samuel Ashe, was located at the site of an old Indian trail crossing. Originally called Morristown, the community changed its name in 1795 to honor Governor Ashe for his resistance to the Stamp Act.
The early township maintained a ferry landing, shipbuilding facilities and tanning factories. Cattle grazing and grain growing were done on a large scale, while gardens teemed with vegetables and orchards produced abundant fruit.
A railroad from Salisbury to Asheville was completed in 1880 giving the community new impetus. Business and manufacturing began to increase, particularly with furniture and cabinet making, and textile production.
The image includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad routes. The map indicates a population in 1880 of 2,610, and in 1890, 11,500. It features inset illustrations of the following:
• Battery Park Hotel.
• Winyah Sanitarium. Dr. K. v.Ruck, Director.
• Extension of South Main Street.
• Kenilworth Inn.