View of Cheshire, Connecticut. 1882.
Beautifully colored historic map of Cheshire, CT in 1882. In 1840, a local woman known as "Jinny" discovered unusual stones in her yard. The stones turned out to be deposits of barium sulphate, or barytes, a mineral used in the manufacturing of paint, glass and rubber products. Barium sulphate was mined in Cheshire for the next 40 years, bringing a wave of immigration to the town from miners of the Cornwall, England mining district. The Cheshire Manufacturing Co., founded in 1850, is shown in one of the inset illustrations.
Inset images include:
Residence of Rev. Sanford J. Horton D. D.
Episcopal Academy of Connecticut, Horton Hall
Episcopal Academy of Connecticut, Bowden Hall
Episcopal Academy of Connecticut, Bronson Hall
Cheshire Manufacturing Co.
Cheshire Brass Company
Complete reference list below.
Features lettered references to the following locations:
- Cheshire Post Office, E. R. Brown, Post Master
- West Cheshire Post Office
- N. H. & N. R. R. Station
- Town Hall
Episcopal Academy of Connecticut, founded 1794,
Rev. Sanford J. Horton D. D. Principal
- Horton Hall
- Bowden Hall
- Bronson Hall
- Principal's Residence
- Parade and Play Grounds
- Public Schools
- Episcopal Church
- Congregational Church
- Methodist Church
- Catholic Church
- Wallace House
- Paynes Hotel
- Cheshire Manufacturing Co.
- Peck, Stowe & Wilcox Co.
- Button Manufactory
- The Academy Store, G. A. Steele, Proprietor
- M. N. Chamberlin, M. D.
- M. C. Doolittle, Merchant Tailor
- E. R. Brown, General Merchandise
- General Stores