Historic Map - Niles, OH - 1882
Panoramic view of the city of Niles, Trumbull Co., Ohio 1882. Beck & Pauli Lith.
Panoramic reproduction view of the city of Niles, Ohio drawn by Albert Ruger and published by Ruger & Stoner in 1882. Niles was founded in 1806 along the Mahoning River by James Heaton, who owned an iron ore processing plant there. Heaton produced the first bar iron in Ohio. The town originally went by the name "Heaton's Furnace", but was later renamed after Hezekiah Niles, editor of the "Niles Register", a Baltimore newspaper. Niles was situated right in the industrial belt and prospered with iron and steel manufacturing and glassmaking until the economic depression of 1873, which eventually brought down the community's largest industrial firm, James Ward & Co. William McKinley was born in Niles in 1843 and at the time of the map was serving with the United States House of Representatives. The map shows the new iron bridge, completed in this year by the Morse Bridge Co. of Youngstown.
The map features clearly labeled street names with scenes of carriage and railroad traffic.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
- Union School
- City Hall
- Fire Engine House
- Post Office
- N. Y. P. & O. R. R. Depot
- A. & P. Railway Depot
- P. & Y. R. R. Depot
- Bank, A. G. Bently, President
- Steam Boiler Works, Reeves Bros. Proprietors
- Globe Foundry & Machine Works, John Carter, Proprietor
- Saw & Planing Mill, C. P. Souder & Co., Proprietors
- Hard & Soft Lumber Yard, C. P. Souder & Co., Proprietors
- Sanford House, L. W. Sanford, Proprietor
- Commercial House
- "Trumbull County Independent", (McCormick & Williams, Editors)
X. Masonic Hall
O. I. O. O. F. Hall
- Falcon Iron and Nail Co. Works
- Ward Iron Co. Works, James Ward, Proprietor
- L. B. Ward's Sheet Iron Works
- Fire Brick Yard, J. R. Thomas, Proprietor
- Blast Furnace, J. R. Thomas, Proprietor
- Water Flour Mill, Hiram Ohl, Proprietor
- Sanford House Livery, Sanford & Pearce, Proprietors
- Commercial House Livery, B. F. Pew, Proprietor
- Main Street Iron Bridge, 180 feet span, Built by Morse Bridge Co., Youngstown, Ohio, 1882.
A - Church of the Disciples
B - Episcopal Church
C - Methodist Church
D - Welsh Methodist Church
E - Welsh Baptist Church
F - Presbyterian Church
G - Roman Catholic Church
H - Prim. Methodist Church
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.