Willimantic, Conn., 1882 : From Blake Mountain / Wils Porter del. ; Charles Hart Lith., N.Y.
Reproduction vignette view of the community known as Willimantic, Connecticut, drawn by Wils Porter from Blake Mountain, printed by Charles Hart and published by W. O. Laughna, Art Publishing Co., 1882. Willimantic is a census-designated area or borough of Windham, Connecticut. In 1822, Charles Lee built the first factory in town right on Main St. Main St. would quickly become the industrial portion of Willimantic. Factories and mills lined the banks of the Willimantic River. Willimantic was called "Thread City" because of its number of textile mills. Since the end of the Civil War, Willimantic was a leading center for the production of silk and cotton thread. The American Thread Company was one of the largest employers in the state. The mills drew many immigrants to the area in search of jobs.
The map features top border illustrations of:
H. E. Remington & Co. Clothiers. Bill's Block.
H. O. P. River Warp Co., William C. Jillson, Prop.
Willimantic Linen Co's Mill No. 2.
Willimantic Linen Co's Mill No. 1, Frinck's Block, Main St.
St. Joseph's Catholic Church.
Residence of Hon. E. A. Buck, Walden's Block, Main St.
Willimantic Linen Co's Mill No. 4.
First National Bank and Residence of Hon. Wm. C. Jillson.
Also lower illustrations of:
Hotel Commercial. A. A. Burnham, Prop.
Willimantic Savings Institute and Windham National Bank.
Willimantic Linen Co's Store.
Residence of Col. Barrows.
Residence of E. J. Boss.
Dime Savings Bank.
Brainard House. S. C. Hooker, Prop.
Loomer's Opera House.