This reproduction view of Chester, Pennsylvania was drawn and published by O. H. Bailey & Co. in 1885. Chester is a city situated along the Delaware River. In its early days Chester was a farming community growing mainly tobacco for trade. Later, milling and other manufacturing interests increased due to the town’s proximity to the river and its tributaries. By the 1880's Chester was home to several flour, saw and rolling mills. It also contained many woolen mills and cotton factories.
The Keokuk Mills founded in 1852 by B. Garside & Son maintained a four-story brick building at the foot of Fulton Street well equipped for the manufacture of fine woolen jeans.
The Irving & Leiper Manufacturing Company was established in 1859. The firm’s three-story brick structure housed 2,000 spindles that produced nearly 22,000 pounds of manufactured yarn weekly.
S. A. Crozer & Son’s mill on Edgemont Avenue near Chester Creek employed a Corliss engine with three boilers to operate 6,330 spindles. The company manufactured cotton goods and produced 12,000 pounds of warp yarn weekly.
In 1877, James Bowers & Son moved their shoddy mill from Waterville to Sixth and Madison Streets in Chester. Their two-story stone and brick factory produced wools and shoddies from assorted waste. Industry and trade have been important to Chester’s economy since those early days.
The Delaware River Iron Ship Building and Engine Works shipyard founded at Chester in 1871 was a major employer and busy place, building ships for the U. S. Navy.
The panoramic map from 1885 shows Chester’s streets, buildings, piers and railroad lines. It depicts river traffic in the foreground and features illustrations of the following noted locations:
• J. Wm. Lewis & Co. Chester Dock Mills.
• The Irving & Leiper Mfg. Co.
• Dougherty & Feeley. Builders of Marine, Stationary & Other Boilers & Pipe Work.
• Residence of S. Greenwood Esq. Real Estate Agt.
• Jacob Pyewell’s Jewelry Store.
• Jas. Bowers’ Sons. Mfrs of Woolen Shoddies & Carders of Worsted & Wool Waste. Sixth & Madison Sts.
• Ashworth & Downey. Phoenix Mills. Mfrs. Of Cotton & Woolen Goods.
• Thomas Wilby. Mfr. Of Leather Belting. Cor. 7th & Penn. Sts. Philadelphia Branch No. 11. South Fourth St. Wilmington Branch No. 202. East Fourth St.
• Eureka Cast Steel Company. Mfrs. Of Steel Castings of all kinds. Chester, PA.
• The Chester Oil Co. Refinery, Wharves, etc. South Chester, PA.
• Riverside Dye-wood & Dye-wood Extract Works. John M. Sharpless & Co. Chester, PA. Office, 22 N. Front St. Philadelphia.
• Delaware Co. National Bank.
• City Hall. Erected 1724.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Pennsylvania Military Academy.
2. Crozer Theological Seminary.
3. High School.
4. Public Schools.
5. City Hall.
6. Holly Tree Hall.
7. South Ward Water Works.
8. Gas Works.
9. Union League Club’s Building.
10. Post Office. H. G. Ashmead, Postmaster.
12. Delaware River Iron Steamship Building and Engine Works.
13. The Irving & Leiper Mfg. Co. Chester, PA. James Irving, President. Thomas I. Leiper, Treasurer.
14. Keokuk Mills. A. Gartside.
15. Riverside Mills. John M. Sharpless & Co. Mfrs of Dye Woods & Dyewood Extracts.
16. Eureka Cast Steel Co.
17. Chester Steel Castings Co.
18. Penn. R. R. Frog & Switch Co.
19. Vulcan Works. Wm. W. Green.
20. Dougherty & Feeley. Eddystone Boiler Works.
21. J. William Lewis & Co. Chester Dock Mills. Mfrs. Of Cotton Goods.
22. Shaw Esrey & Co., Ltd.
23. S. A. Crozer & Son. Mfrs.
24. J. P. Crozer’s Sons. Mills.
25. Chester Worsted Mills.
26. Ashworth & Downey. Phoenix Mills.
27. James Bowers’ Sons Shoddy Mfrs.
28. Thomas Wilby. Double & Single Leather Belting.
29. Sam. J. Rose. North Chester Brick Works.
30. Jonathan Pennell. Lumber & Coal.
31. F. K. McCollum. Lumber, Coal & Lime.
32. Spencer McIlvain. Lumber Yard.
33. L. G. James & Son. Livery & Exchange Stable.
34. Office of the Singer Mfg. Company. C. J. Mathis, Agent.
35. Thos. A. Tall. Sail Maker.
36. J. K. Clouser’s Ship Yard.
A. Baptist Church.
B. First Presbyterian Church.
C. Second Presbyterian Church.
D. Third Presbyterian Church.
E. Methodist Episcopal Church. (Madison St.)
F. Methodist Episcopal. (Trinity)
G. Methodist Episcopal. (Colored)
H. Roman Catholic. St. Michaels.
J. Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
K. Episcopal Church. (St. Pauls)
L. Episcopal Church. (St. Lukes)
M. Friends Meeting House. Erected 1735.