Historic Map - Childress, TX - 1890
Reproduction map of the community known as Childress, TX, drawn and published by T M. Fowler in 1890, the same year that the town was officially incorporated, with a population of 621. The grid of the town is clearly defined, with street names clearly labeled. The town's buildings and residences had been moved in 1887 to take advantage of the new Fort Worth and Denver Railway depot that was originally going to be built in Childress. After an election held in April, 1887, selecting Childress as the county seat, a temporary wooden courthouse was built on the original Childress site, under the supervision of Amos J. Fires, a prominent local attorney. That election, however, was found to be illegal. The railroad agent, R. E. Montgomery, who had purchased half of the property in the rival town of Henry, decided that the Henry location would be better for the site of the railway depot. The decision was made to rename the town of Henry to Childress and the move was made. This map captures the town just three years after the arrival of the Fort Worth and Denver Railway depot. Complete reference list below.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
1. Court House
2. Public School
3. Baptist Church
5. Railroad Station
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.