Reproduction bird's-eye view map of Cleveland, OH, drawn by Prussian born Albert Ruger, and published by J. J. Stoner in 1877. Cleveland was founded in the late 1700s near the mouth of the Cuyahoga River. With the addition of several canals and effective railroad lines, Cleveland quickly became an important manufacturing location and was incorporated as a city in 1836. It was now connected with the Atlantic Ocean by way of the Erie Canal and later by the St. Lawrence Seaway, and down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. The city was an important halfway point for Minnesota iron ore and other raw materials being transported across the Great Lakes. In 1854, Cleveland annexed Ohio City that was just across the river. Standard Oil was founded here in 1870 by John D. Rockefeller.
The panorama drawing features clearly labeled street names with scenes of shipping, railroad, carriage and pedestrian traffic. Complete reference list below.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
COLLEGES AND SCHOOLS.
HOSPITALS AND CHARITY INSTITUTIONS.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.