Historic Map - Cleveland, OH - 1887
Reproduction panorama view map of Cleveland, OH, drawn and published by C. H. Vogt & Son in 1887. Cleveland was founded in the late 1700s near the mouth of the Cuyahoga River. With the addition of several canals and effective railroad lines, Cleveland quickly became an important manufacturing center. In 1836 Cleveland was incorporated as a city. It was now connected with the Atlantic Ocean by way of the Erie Canal and later by the St. Lawrence Seaway, and down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. The city was an important halfway point for Minnesota iron ore and other raw materials being transported across the Great Lakes. By 1850, with railroads continuing to add mileage, the canal's use and maintenance began to decline. Ownership of 3 miles of the canal that measured 40' wide at the top and 26' at the bottom with a depth of 4 feet was transferred to the city of Cleveland from the state in 1872. The drained and abandoned canal bed was leased to the Valley Railroad in 1879. The popular bicycle was becoming an important means of transportation and with a meeting in 1879 at St. Malachi's Hall, the Cleveland Bicycle Club was created. It promoted safety and interest. It was important for bicycle riders to be noticed and to know their rights with this new mode of transit.
The panorama drawing features clearly labeled street names with scenes of shipping, railroad and carriage traffic.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.