View of Elkton, Cecil County, M.D., 1907 / drawn & published by Fowler & Kelly.
This panoramic print of Elkton, Maryland was drawn by T. M. Fowler and published by Fowler & Kelly in 1907. Elkton was established in the late 1700's along the Elk River where it meets Chesapeake Bay. It was known as the landing site of thousands of British and German soldiers led by Sir William Howe during their Philadelphia campaign of the American Revolutionary War.
Maryland’s relaxed marriage laws led Elkton to become a marriage destination for New Yorkers and New Englanders until restrictions were altered in 1938.
The map includes labeled streets, waterways, buildings, bridges and railroad route. The featured inset illustrations include:
- Episcopal Church.
- Presbyterian Church.
- High School.
- Deibert & Wilson Textile Mfg. Co.
- Cecil County Court House.
- Catholic Church.
- Methodist Episcopal Church.
- Henry Deibert Barge Building Co.
- E. Deibert & Bro. Barge Building Co.