Historic Map - Fleetwood, PA - 1893
This panoramic print of Fleetwood, Pennsylvania was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1893. Fleetwood was established along the East Penn Railroad in the 1850's as the railroad eclipsed the existing settlement of Coxtown and transformed it into a handy railroad stop. The town of Fleetwood was laid out by Thomas Mellon in the 1860's.
The Schaeffer Brothers erected a large foundry in 1864 manufacturing farm implements and mining equipment. In 1872, the firm became Schaeffer, Merkel & Co. and a major employer in the area with between 125 and 150 hands. The company’s buildings were destroyed by fire ten years after this map’s publishing.
Fleetwood’s water works was organized in 1889 by George B. Schaeffer, Dr. Levi Lentz and Peter Wanner which incorporated a 300,000 gallon reservoir supplied by pure spring water just one mile east of town.
The town would later be known as the birthplace of the Cadillac Fleetwood.
The map from 1893 includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad route.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Public Schools.
2. Union House. D. A. Dries, Proprietor.
3. Fleetwood House. Nathaniel Frey, Proprietor.
4. Foundry & Machine Works. Schaeffer, Merkel & Co.
5. Eagle Roller Mill. Schaefer, Wanner & Co., Proprietors.
6. Flour Mill. F. D. Fritch, Proprietor.
7. Granite Works. C. F. Hill, Proprietor.
8. Fleetwood Creamery. D. F. Kelchner, Proprietor.
9. P. & R. R. R. Station.
A. St. Paul’s Chapel.
B. Emanuel Evangelical Church.
C. Lutheran & Reformed Church.
D. Church of God.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.