This bird’s-eye view perspective print of Kearney, Nebraska was drawn by Henry Wellge and published by American Publishing Co. in 1889. Kearney developed in the mid-1800's under the umbrella of protection of nearby Fort Kearny. Kearney was established as the county seat of Buffalo County when it was created in 1855. The town was well supplied with the addition of railroads. Kearney was a large producer of grain which was actively shipped by rail. It also served as a haven for the army personnel posted at the fort. By the 1880s, Kearney was recognized as great place to settle, as the nation began moving westward.
The map includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad routes. The map indicates Kearney’s population at 12,000 in 1889. There are featured inset illustrations of the following:
• Overflow of Canal. Kearney, NE.
• The Kearney Brick Works. The Kearney Brick & Terracotta Co. Makes the best quality of bricks used in the west. It uses an electric railway three-quarters of a mile in length in transporting clay.
• R. R. Station at West Kearney, NE. Passenger station U. P. R. R.
• The Midway Hotel.
• Kearney Cotton Mill.
• West Kearney.
• East Lawn Addition.
• Sketch showing Kearney Water Power Canal in relation to Kearney and the Platte River.
Features references to the following locations:
City Hall and Fire Department.
Electric Power Station.
City Water Works.
Kearney Gas Company.
City High School.
Second Ward School.
First Ward School.
Fourth Ward School.
State Industrial School.
First Congregational Church.
First Presbyterian Church.
First Meth. Church.
First Meth. Episcopal Church.
Second Meth. Episcopal Church.
Kearney Brick Company. Works operated entirely by electricity.
Kearney Milling & Elevator Co. Capacity, 200 bbls. Daily. T. T. Osborn, Manager.
Metcalf Cracker Factory.
Kearney Planing Mills.
Hechts’ Packing House.
Kearney Canning and Pickling Works.
Foundry and Machine Shops.
Western Engineering Co.
Geo. W. Frank Improvement Co. Office, Midway Hotel.
West Kearney Improvement Co. R. L. Spencer, Manager. Office, Midway Hotel.
Kearney Land and Investment Co. H. G. Wiley, Secretary and Manager. Office, Midway Hotel.
Midway Land Company. L. N. Mowry, Secretary. Office, 2422 Central Ave.
Geo. D. Aspinwall, Real Estate, Farm and City Loans. Office, cor. Central Ave. and 22nd St.
D. A. Dorsey, Real Estate. 2401 Central Ave.
Smith & Cutting, Real Estate and Insurance. Office, five doors north of Post Office.
Henry Martin & Son’s, Real Estate and Investment Brokers. Office, Midway Hotel.
Allen & Barney, Farm Loans, Real Estate and Insurance. Office, one door west of Kearney National Bank.
W. W. Patterson, Real Estate.
C. H. Elmendorf, Real Estate. Secretary, West Kearney Improvement Co. Office, Midway Hotel.
Ingham & Steel, Real Estate. Office, 2435 Central Ave.
Henderson & Scoutt, Real Estate and Investment Agency. Room 3, Midway Hotel.
J. L. Parrotte, Real Estate and Investment Agency, branch office, National Building, Loan and Protective Union. Office, 23d Central Ave.
Geo. W. Frank, Jr. and Howard Bailey, Architects. Cor. 25th St. and 1st Ave.
F. M. Ellis & J. H. Kent, Architects. 3 and 4 Robertson’s Block.
Foster & Schuehle, Architects. Hamilton Loan and Trust Building.
The Kearney Daily Hub. Office, 15 W. 22nd St.
Kearney Daily Journal. Office, 15 W. 23rd St.
The Kearney Enterprise. Office, 2412 Central Ave.
Kearney National Bank. Capital, 150,000. Surplus, 50,000. Cor. Central Ave. and 21st St.
First National Bank of Kearney, Nebraska. Capital, 200,000. Lew. Robertson, President. W. F. R. Mills, Vice President. F. Y. Robertson, Cashier.
F. H. Gilcrest & Co. Lumber. Central Ave. and 25th St.
Palace Drug Store. A. G. Lester. 2215 Central Ave.
James Jenkins, Boots and Shoes. 2113 Central Ave.
Crocker, Finch & Co. Clothiers, Furnishers and Hatters. 2101 Central Ave.
U. A. Douning, Harness and Carriage Repository. 2101 Central Ave.
F. L. Harrington & Co. Hardware, Stoves and Tinware. 2116 Central Ave.
K. O. Holmes, Books and Stationery. Secretary, Chamber of Commerce.
The Midway Livery. Marden & Mitchell, Proprietors. Cor. 25th and 1st Ave.
United Presbyterian Church.
Swedish Presbyterian Church.
Swedish Lutheran Church.
South Side Union Sunday School.
Midway Hotel. O. S. Marden, Proprietor. C. E. & E. A. Brown, Managers.
West End Hotel.
U. P. Passenger and Freight Depots.
B. & M. Passenger and Freight Depots.
B. & M. Round House.
Phil. Kearney Ranche.