This print of Girardville, Pennsylvania was drawn and published by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler in 1889. Girardville was founded in 1832 and named for landowner Stephen Girard. The borough was incorporated in 1872 just as the Pennsylvania coal mining industry was getting into full swing. Anthracite coal mines were established throughout the region making Girardville a bustling trade and railroad center.
The map from 1889 includes labeled streets, buildings, bridges and railroad lines. It features inset illustrations of the following:
• Hotel & Store of Louis Blass.
• Primitive Methodist Church & Parsonage. Rev. W. McNally, Pastor.
• Girard Estate, Mansion and Mine Inspector’s House.
• American House. J. S. Coleman, Proprietor.
• Zion’s Ev. Lutheran Church. Rev. J. O. Liebensperger, Pastor.
• Pennsylvania Hotel. D. Whitley, Proprietor.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Public Schools.
2. St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic.
3. Primitive Methodist.
4. Zion Ev. Lutheran.
6. Methodist Episcopal.
7. Girard Colliery.
8. Lehigh Valley Colliery No. 5.
9. Preston Slope No. 3.
10. Grant House. Louis Blass, Proprietor.
11. Girard House. J. A. Holtz, Proprietor.
12. American House. Samuel Coleman, Proprietor.
13. Penn Hotel. David L. Whitley, Proprietor.
14. Lafferty Hall. P. J. O’Neil, Proprietor.
15. Girardville Gas Works.
16. P. & R. R. Depot.
17. L. V. R. R. Depot.