This panoramic print of McDonald, Pennsylvania was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1897. McDonald was founded in 1775 by Indian agent John McDonald, who established a trading post there. The railroad established a station at McDonald in 1865. McDonald was incorporated as a borough in 1889. At the same time oil was discovered throughout the region and McDonald began to swell with oilmen. By 1897, the oil was dwindling and McDonald’s prospects were turning toward the mining of coal. McDonald became a transportation center for the valuable ore.
The map from 1897 shows oil wells, labeled streets, buildings and railroad route.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Public Schools.
2. Opera House.
3. Electric Light Plant.
4. Hotel Barrett. L. C. Cameran, Proprietor.
5. Hotel Buchheit. Neil McGineey, Proprietor.
6. Hotel Bastian. J. A. Bastian, Proprietor.
7. Nickel Plate Coal Mine. J. D. Sauters, Proprietor.
8. Brier Hill Coal Mine. Patterson & Sauters, Proprietors.
9. Machine Shop. B. D. Tillinghast, Proprietor.
10. P. C. C. & St. L. R. R. Station.
A. Catholic Church.
B. First Presbyterian Church.
C. United Presbyterian Church.
D. Baptist Church (Colored).