Historic Map - Mexico, MO - 1869
Bird's eye view of the city of Mexico, Audrian Co., Missouri 1869. Drawn by A. Ruger.
Reproduction map of the community known as Mexico, MO, drawn by Prussian born Albert Ruger. Mexico was established in 1836 as "New Mexico". It was a major stop for those settlers heading south to the Republic of Texas. It is said that the first settlers had found a wooden directional sign along the trail that had the word Mexico painted on it, and it had seemed easier to leave the sign in place and call their town Mexico. They dropped the "New" after the Mexican-American War, and the town became the county seat for Audrain County in 1837. Mexico is situated in the blue grass region of Missouri. It became a principal trading-point for horses and mules, and was known as the "Saddle Horse Capital of the World". Upon being chartered as a city in 1874, Mexico began dubbing itself as the Fire Brick Capital of the World as it became a major source for the nation's fire brick production. The downtown square, with the court house as its main focal point, is to be surrounded by dozens of multi-story brick buildings that still exist. Mexico was the home of Hardin College and Conservatory of Music, a Baptist college for women, established in 1873. It was founded by Charles H. Hardin, the then governor of Missouri, who was a local resident. Hardin College closed during the Great Depression. Its 1200 seat auditorium is now a community theater. Many antebellum mansions were built in the area, and one, built by John P. Clark in 1857, was host to Colonel Ulysses S. Grant during the early years of the Civil War.
The map features clearly labeled street names with lively scenes of railroad, carriage and pedestrian traffic. It features inset illustrations of Public School and Court House.
Complete reference list below.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Court House
- County Jail
- School House
- N. M. Railroad Depot
- Christian Church
- North Methodist Church
- South Methodist Church
- Presbyterian Church
- Episcopal Church
- Roman Catholic Church
- Baptist Church
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.