null

Historic Map - Lexington, MO - 1869

Code:
1W-MO-LE-1869-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear

Bird's eye view of Lexington, Lafayette Co., Missouri 1869. Drawn by A. Ruger.

Reproduction map of the community known as Lexington, MO, drawn by Albert Ruger. Located on the bluffs of the Missouri River, Lexington was established in 1822, largely by Kentuckians, who named it after Lexington, Kentucky. It became an important supply station for the Santa Fe, California, Oregon and Mormon trails. The Pony Express started business on Main Street in 1860. Lexington was also center for Quantrill's Raiders during the civil war. After the war, Lexington never returned to the commerce center it once was, particularly with the completion of the transcontinental railroad, which moved goods through Kansas City instead. A number of learning institutions were established here, leading Lexington to name itself "Athens of the West". Included were the Elizabeth Aull Seminary, the Lexington Ladies College and the founding of Wentworth Military Academy in 1880.

The map features clearly labeled street names with lively scenes of riverboat, railroad, carriage and pedestrian traffic. It features inset illustrations of Court House and Masonic College.

Complete reference list below.

Features numbered references to the following locations:

  1. Court House.
  2. County Jail.
  3. Public School.
  4. Masonic College.
  5. Baptist Seminary.
  6. Presbyterian Seminary.
  7. Arcana Hall, Turner Hall.
  8. Market House.
  9. Lexington & St. Joseph Railroad Depot.
  10. Baptist Church.
  11. Christian Church.
  12. Catholic Church.
  13. Episcopal Church.
  14. German Methodist.
  15. Methodist South Church.
  16. Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
  17. Presbyterian Church.
  18. Colored Church.