A superior reproduction of this panoramic map of Miles City, Montana in 1883, created very soon after the town was founded. Fort Keogh (named after one of the victims of the Custer Massacre of 1876) was created by the U. S. Military at the point where the north flowing Tongue River flows into the east flowing Yellowstone River. Commanded by General Nelson A. Miles, the fort was one of several established during this time in eastern Montana, in response to the Custer Massacre. The village of wood cabins that emerged from the fort was originally called "Milestown", after the commander of the fort. This was later changed to Miles City. This map depicts the early town before the railroad arrived in the late 1880's. Library of Congress stamp, dated November 19, 1883. Inset in lower right corner of map illustrated the bend of the Tongue River, with the two insets in the lower left corner depicting the County Court House and a street elevation illustration This beautiful map provides a look at the beginnings of the city. Complete reference list below.
Features references to the following locations:
County Court House.
Saw mill and Lumber Yard, L.C. Currier.
Inter-Ocean Hotel, Macqueen & Young, Proprs.
First National Bank.
Stebbins, Mund & Co., Bank.
The Yellowstone Journal, daily and weekly.
United States Land Office.
Wm. Courtnay's Real Estate Office.
Livery Stable, Ringer & Johnson, Proprs.
Harness Shop, Ernest Goettlich, Propr.
Harness Shop, Konrad Schmid, Propr.
Walter A. Burleigh, General Merchandise.
T.B. Burleigh, Hardware.
C.W. Savage & Sons, Geneeral Merchandise.
G. McLaughlin, Blacksmith and Carriage Shop.
Kitties' Place, Kitty Hardyman, Proprietress.
Park Saloon and Palace Restaurant.
Daily and Weekly Press.