An historic map print reproduction of Norwich, CT, drawn and published by O. H. Bailey in 1876. A city with a rich colonial history, Norwich was originally founded in 1659 by a group of settlers from Old Saybrook, led by Major John Mason and Reverend James Fitch. Nine years later a wharf was built at Yantic Cove. A public landing built in 1694 at the head of the Thames River made it possible to offload goods at the harbor. The roads that served between the port and the town, the East and West Roads, later became Washington Street and Broadway.
Large mills and factories sprang up along the three rivers that flow into the city: the Yantic, the Shetucket and the Quinebaug. The Thames River flows out from the harbor, south to Long Island Sound. The developed factories and shipping port enabled Norwich to be instrumental in supplying soldiers with ships and munitions during the American Revolution. The notorious Benedict Arnold was born in Norwich.
This beautifully colored map captures the city during the early Industrial Revolution. In addition to the usual references, the map includes a listing of city officials from 1876 as well as 1784. Some discoloration is evident, but only adds to its character and charm.
Map includes inset photos and illustrations of the following notable buildings:
Norwich Lock Manufacturing Co.
Hislop, Porteus & Mitchell, Dry Goods
First National Bank
Norwich Bleaching & Calendering Co.
Complete reference list below.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
1. City Hall & Court House
2. U. S. Post Office
3. Otis Library
4. New London Co. Jail
5. N. & N. Y trans Co. & N. & W. R. R. Co.
6. Norwich & Worcester R. R. Depot
7. New London Northern R. R. Depot
8. Free Academy
9. Broadway School House
10. Roath Ave. School House
11. School St. School House
12. Broad St. School House
13. Boswell Ave. School House
14. West High Street School House
15. Thames Street School House
16. Pearl Street School House
17. Sachem Street School House
18. Greenville School House
36. The Potter Press Works
37. The Thames Foundry & Machine Shop
38. The Thames Iron Works Manufactory
39. The Collins Water Wheel
40. The Richmond Stove Co.
41. The C. B. Rogers & Co., Machinists
42. The Hopkins & Allen Pistol Manufacturing Co.
43. The Falls Co. Cotton Mills
44. The J. Hunt Smith, Woolen Yarns
45. The Hood Fire Arms Co.
46. The Norwich Pistol Co.
47. The Bacon Arms Co.
48. The Ossawan Yarn & Dye Works
49. The Norwich & Worcester Rail Road Works
50. The Norwich City Gas Works
51. The Norwich Lock Manufacturing Co.
52. Shetucket Co.'s Mills, Cotton Goods
53. Chelsea Paper Manufacturing Co.
54. Mowry Machine Co.
54. Wm. H. Page & Co., Wood Type Manufacturers
55. Norwich Bleachery & Calendering Co.
19. Broadway Congregational Church
20. Second Congregational Church
21. Fourth Congregational Church
22. Park Congregational Church
23. Christ Episcopal Church
24. Trinity Episcopal Church
25. E. Main Street Methodist Episcopal Church
26. Central Methodist Church
27. Greenville Methodist Church
28. Sachem Street Methodist Church
29. Zion Methodist Church
30. First Baptist Church
31. Central Baptist Church
32. High Street Baptist Church
33. St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church
34. German Lutheran Church
35. Universalist Church
56. The Henry Bill Publishing Co.
57. The Bulletin Publishing Co.
58. The Norwich Printing Co.
59. Charles Osgood & Co., Wholesale Druggists
60. J. M. Huntington & Co., Shipping & Commercial Merchants
61. Robt. Brown, Steam & Gas Pipe Manufacturer
62. A. W. Prentice & Co., Hardware, Cotton Lines, etc.
63. Norton Brothers, Wholesale Grocers
64. L. W. Carrell & Co., Manufacturers Supplies
65. Norwich Elevator & Steam Mill
66. F. A. Wells & Co., General Clothing
67. Hislop, Porteous & Mitchell, Dry Goods
68. William Noss, Restaurateur
69. Cosgrove Brothers, Boots & Shoes
68. J. P. Barstow, Agricultural Implements
69. Ansel Clusk, Stoves & Tinware
70. The Boston Store
71. John C. Ripley, Art Store & Agent for View of Norwich
CITY OFFICIALS - 1876:
Hugh H. Osgood
George C. Ripley
James S. Carew
William L. Brewer
Azel W. Gibbs
Increase W. Carpenter
J. Hunt Smith
Henry L. Parker
John M. Brewer
Elisha P. Slocum
Charles D. Browning
CITY OFFICIALS - 1784:
Hon. Benjamin Huntington
Benjamin Huntington, Jr.
Gen. Jedediah Hungtinton
Nathaniel Backus, Esq.
Christopher Leffingwill, Esq.
Thomas Mumford, Esq.
Col. Zabdiel Rogers
Jabez Perkisn, Esq.
Col. Joshua Huntington
Capt. Jared Tracy
Samuel L. Homadieu, Esq.
Ebenezer Carew, Esq.
Doctor Theophus Rogers
John M. Breed, Esq.
Dudley Woodbridge, Esq.
John Backus, Esq.
Capt. Jabez Perkins, Jr.
Andrew Huntington, Esq.
Capt. Asa Waterman
Doctor Elisha Marvin
Doctor Joshua Lathrop
Ebenezer Thomas, Esq.
Thomas Fanning, Esq.
Capt. Simon Huntington
Major Ebenezer Whiting
Joseph Howland, Esq.
Questions about the Historic Map - Norwich, CT - 1876?
World Maps Online is here to help you with all of your map needs. If you need help finding the right product, we're happy to answer questions you have. Give us a call during normal business hours at 877-884-2402 or click here to send us a message.