null

Historic Map - Palmyra, MO - 1869

Code:
1W-MO-PM-1869-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear

Bird's eye view of the city of Palmyra, Marion Co., Missouri, A.D. 1869. Drawn from nature by A. Ruger.

Reproduction map of the community known as Palmyra, MO, drawn by Prussian born Albert Ruger. Palmyra is located seven miles west of the Mississippi River on a natural rock floor that contains a sweet spring. The town's name was taken from an oasis city (Tadmor) along the desert trail between Syria and the upper Euphrates known as Palmyra by the Greeks and Romans. In 1825, Palmyra was selected as the site for the first land office in northeast Missouri, and the Marion County seat in 1826. Growth in the area continued with Palmyra welcoming the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad in 1857, and the Palmyra & Quincy Railroad in 1860.

The Civil War left vivid scars on Palmyra, including the Palmyra Massacre in 1862. Palmyra and Marion County were divided during the war which led to many disagreements. A Confederate group led by Colonel Joseph E. Porter succeeded in raiding Palmyra. Prisoners from Marion County Jail were released and a few Union sympathizers were captured, including Andrew Allsman, who was known to betray neighbors sympathetic to the Confederacy to the local militia. The commander of Union forces, Colonel John McNeil, publicly demanded Allsman's return. It was reported that Colonel Porter released Allsman with an escort to the road that led to Palmyra, but Allsman was never seen again. As a result, McNeil ordered the execution of ten Confederate prisoners, which was carried out on October 12, 1862. A granite monument was later erected in their honor.

Sometimes called the "Handsomest City in North Missouri", Palmyra has over 200 antebellum structures in a variety of architectural styles. Included in these are the 1855 P. J. Sowers Home, which had once been home to William Russell, one of the founders of the Pony Express, and the 1869 Darwell House, which was the childhood home of famed actress Jane Darwell.

The map features clearly labeled street names with lively scenes of railroad, carriage and pedestrian traffic. It features inset illustrations of St. Paul College, Southern Methodist Seminary, Baptist Seminary and Court House.

Complete reference list below.

Features numbered references to the following locations:

  1. Court House
  2. County Jail
  3. Public School
  4. Baptist Seminary
  5. Methodist Seminary
  6. Episcopal Seminary
  7. Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad Depot
  8. Cemetary
  9. Christian Church
  10. Hard Shell Baptist Church
  11. Mission Baptist Church
  12. Episcopal Church
  13. Lutheran Church
  14. Methodist Church
  15. Presbyterian Church
  16. United Presbyterian Church
  17. Roman Catholic Church
  18. Baptist Colored Church
  19. Methodist Colored Church