Reproduction bird's-eye view map of Schuylerville, New York, published by Lucien R. Burleigh in 1889. The village of Schuylerville in Saratoga County is located on the west bank of the Hudson River. The Champlain Canal secured the community's economy during the 1800s. Locals still refer to the village as "Old Saratoga" because of the Revolutionary Battles that took place here.
This panoramic illustrated map from 1889 shows buildings, bridges and clearly labeled streets.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Notre Dame de Lourdes Roman Catholic Church
2. Church of the Visitation, Roman Catholic
3. St. Stephens Episcopal Church
4. Reformed Church
5. Baptist Church
6. Methodist Episcopal Church
7. Public School
8. The Horicon Cotton Mills, Saratoga Manufacturing Co.
9. Bullard Paper Mills
10. Boat Yard & Dry Dock
11. Fitchburg R. R. Depot
12. Monument Station
13. Eureka Lantern Works
14. Schuylerville House, Wm. McLindon, Proprietor
15. Hotel Schuyler, J. D. Holcomb, Proprietor
17. Mealey Opera House Block, James Mealey, Proprietor
17. Dry Goods & Groceries, James Mealey
16. Heavy & Shelf Hardware, G. S. McRae & Co.
18. Heavy & Shelf Hardware, Washburn & Ball
19. Dry Goods & Groceries, N. J. Seeley
20. Dry Goods & Carpets, Tefft & Potter
21. Fine Tailoring, W. J. Stein
22. Groceries, Boots, Shoes, etc., John G. McCreedy
A - Site of Fort Hardy, built by Gen. Duskan in 1755, and occupied by French and Indians
B- Saratoga Battle Monument, corner stone laid Oct. 17th 1877, opened June 1883, base 40 feet square, height 154 feet, number of steps to reach upper window
192, amount expended to the present for the structure $95,000, and still unfinished
C - Positions of the American and British Armies
October 17th 1777
D - Corps of Riflemen under Command of Col. Morgan
D - 6th camp of the 47th and the 30th
E - German camp
F - British Camp Ground
Frazer's Rangers and Light Infantry 3000 Americans under Gen. Fellows were stationed just across the river, while the main body of Americans under Gen. Gates were just over Fish Creek, near where Victory Mills now stands Near this spot, Oct. 17th 1777, American and British officers met and consummated Articles of Capitulation of Gen. Burgoyne to Gen. Gates, and on this ground the British Army laid down their arms, thus securing American Independence Country Residence of Gen. Schuyler, built in 1777 or 1783, and this estate was retained by the family over a century.