South Bend, Indiana 1874. Chas. Shober & Co. proprietors of Chicago Lith. Co.
Reproduction historic map of South Bend, Indiana, published in 1874. The first fur-trading post in the area that is now known as South Bend was called Big St. Joseph Station, established by American Fur Company agent Pierre Frieschutz Navarre in 1820. The area became known as St. Joseph's until 1829, when the post office designated the town as Southold. The name was changed to South Bend the following year, due to the confusion created by other towns named Southold. The town was officially incorporated as a town in 1835, and as a city in 1865.
During the mid-1800's, the two man-made canals along the St. Joseph River became the industrial center of South Bend, establishing manufacturing as the corner stone of South Bend's economy. Several of the prominent mills are referenced on the map. Also referenced are the soon-to-be famous "Singer Sewing Machine Co." and "Studebaker Brother's Wagon, Coach and Carriage Factories", later to become the manufacturer of Studebaker automobiles.
The "Oliver Chilled Plow Works" company is also referenced on the map. The company's founder, James Oliver, invented a practical solution to the sticky soil problems that farmers were encountering as they tried to plow the newly settled farms in the Midwest. Oliver's processes that he patented in 1857 and in 1869 proved to be a great success and created a demand for his plows with production rising from 1,500 plows in 1871, to 17,000 plows per year, by the year this map was published.
Features references to the following locations:
- Court House.
- County Jail.
- High School.
- Ward Schools.
- Post Office.
- Water Works and Stand Pipe.
- Gas Works.
- Turner Hall.
- Fair Grounds.
- L. S. & M. S. Railroad Depot.
- M. C. S. B. Railroad Depot.
- C. & L. H. Railroad Depot.
- St. Joseph's Academy.
- Catholic Churches.
- Baptist Churches.
- Christian Churches.
- Episcopal Churches.
- First Evangelical Church.
- Second Evangelical Church.
- Lutheran Churches.
- First Methodist Church.
- Second Methodist Church.
- First Presbyterian Church.
- Second Presbyterian Church.
- Reformed Church.
- Reformed Church Mission Chapel.
- African M. E. Church.
- Singer Sewing Machine Works.
- Oliver Chilled Plow Works.
- Studebaker Bro. Wagon Manufactory.
- Studebaker Bro. Carriage and Coach Manufactory.
- Indiana Iron and Reaper Co.
- W. H. Beach & Co.'s News and Book Print Paper Mills.
- Beach & Keedy's News and Book Print Paper Mills.
- Union Cabinet Manufacturing Co.'s Building.
- South Bend Iron Works.
- W. F. Smith's Furniture Manufactory.
- C. Liphart's Furniture Manufactory.
- Variety Bracket Works.
- Sibley, Mills & Ware, Manufacturers of Machinists' Tools.
- Huey Chair Manufacturing Co.
- Eagle Sash, Door and Blind Manufactory.
- John G. Rilling's Cabinet Manufactory.
- Hartzell & Hartman, Planing Mill, Sash, Door and Blind Manufactory.
- South Bend Woolen Co.'s Mills.
- Josiah Thompson's Furniture Factory.
- John A. Chickett's Wagon and Carriage Factory.
- Walworth & Lawton's Planing Mill, Sash, Door and Blind Manufactory.
- Birdsell Clover Thresher and Separator Works.
- Grain Drill Works.
- Knoblock Bros. Flouring Mill.
- Flouring Mills.
- Woolen Mills.
- Wagon Manufactory.
- Dwight House, Knight & Mills, Proprietors.
- Union House, F. Bauer, Proprietor.
- St. Joseph Hotel.