null

Historic Map - South Bend, IN - 1890

Code:
1W-IN-SB-1890-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
South Bend, Ind. 1890.

Reproduction historic map of South Bend, Indiana, published in 1890. The first fur-trading post in the area that is now known as South Bend was called Big St. Joseph Station, established by American Fur Company agent Pierre Frieschutz Navarre in 1820. The area became known as St. Joseph's until 1829, when the post office designated the town as Southold. The name was changed to South Bend the following year, due to the confusion created by other towns named Southold. The town was officially incorporated as a town in 1835, and as a city in 1865.

During the mid-1800's, the two man-made canals along the St. Joseph River became the industrial center of South Bend, establishing manufacturing as the corner stone of South Bend's economy. Several of the prominent mills are referenced on the map. Also referenced are the soon-to-be famous "Singer Sewing Machine Co." and "Studebaker Brother's Wagon, Coach and Carriage Factories", later to become the manufacturer of Studebaker automobiles.

The "Oliver Chilled Plow Works" company is also referenced on the map. The company's founder, James Oliver, invented a practical solution to the sticky soil problems that farmers were encountering as they tried to plow the newly settled farms in the Midwest. Oliver's processes that he patented in 1857 and in 1869 proved to be a great success and created a demand for his plows with production rising from 1,500 plows in 1871, to 17,000 plows per year, by 1874.

An illustration of the Leeper & Ried Brick Mfg. Co. appears in the right margin and an illustration of Coquillard Park is featured in the lower right margin of the map.


Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:

  1. Court House.
  2. City Offices.
  2. The South Bend Medicine Co., Manufacturers of Cocaine Compound.
  2. Dr. Kilmer & Co., Manufacturers of Olive Branch Remedies.
  3. Water Works, Ira S. Schrof, Superintendent.
  4. High School.
  5. Jefferson School.
  6. Madison School.
  7. Lafayette School.
  8. Laurel School.
  9. Coquillard School.
10. South School.
11. First Baptist Church
12. St. Hedwige R. C. Church.
13. St. Mary's R. C. Church.
14. St. Joseph's R. C. Church.
15. St. Patrick's R. C. Church.
16. First Christian Church.
17. St. James (Episcopal) Church.
18. German Evangelical Church.
19. Zion Evangelical Church.
20. St. Paul's German Lutheran Church.
21. St. Peter's Evangelical Church.
22. First Presbyterian Church.
23. Second Presbyterian Church.
24. Reformed Church.
25. First M. E. Church.
26. German M. E. Church.
27. Grace M. E. Church.
28. Young Men's Christian Association Hall, Reading Room, Gymnasium and Bath Room.
29. St. Joseph's Hospital.
 A. Post Office.
 B. Turner Hall.
 C. Maennerchor Hall, J. N. Wagener, Janitor.
30. O'Brien Varnish Co.
31. South Bend Chilled Plow Co.
32. Oliver Chilled Plow Works.
33. Wm. Ranfranz, Merchant Tailor.
34. South Bend Foundry Co., B. B. Harris and H. L. Green, Proprietors.
35. Christ. Lederer, Grocery.
36. Zeltner Bros., Hardware.
37. Studebaker Bros. Mfg. Co., Manufacturers of Wagons, Carriages, Buggies and Sleighs.
38. Sibley & Ware, Manufacturers of Shafting, Hangers, Power Drills, Iron Founders and Machinists.
39. South Bend Lumber Co., Lumber, Sash, Doors and Blinds.
40. Birdsell Mfg. Co., Manufacturers of Clover hullers, Carriages; Steel skein Farm Wagons, etc.
41. Fish & Kirk, Picture Framing and Artist's Materials, all kinds of Woodwork.
42. C. W. Arnold, Manufacturer of Soda and all kinds of Mineral Waters.
43. F. W. Mueller, Groceries.
44. John A. Chockelt, Carriage and Wagon Factory.
45. Irving A. Sibley, Hardware, Stoves, etc.
46. Kunstmann House, Wm. Hagen.
47. John Y. Slick, St. Joe Loundry.
48. South Bend Cement Co., Portland Cement.
49. G. H. Asire, Manufacturer of Steam heaters.
50. Hodson, Stanchfield & Co., Manufacturers of Sash, Doors, Blinds and Building Materials.